• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Installing an .apk?

rimjay

Aug 3, 2010
Good evening,

I wanted to install an .apk on my phone using a file manager such as Astro, but when i go to install it, it always says not downloaded. I tried using other file managers to install it to no avail. What am i doing wrong? Should i flash the .apk? Sounds silly but not sure what to do here.

Some system apps won't just install like a normal .apk. If that's the case you have to "push to /system/app". You have to be rooted to do this.
1. Open root file app, I use root browser, navigate to the apk you want to install.
2. Long press the apk and either copy or move apk
3. Navigate back to /system/app and paste the apk
4. Long press the apk and fix permissions
*the normal perms for system apps is
rw-rw-r--
5.reboot and enjoy
* if you are installing a new system app for example you want the 4.2.x camera on your 4.1.x ROM, you can and should rename the old one (androidappname).bak. by replacing apk with bak it will keep the file in case you want it back but it removes it as an active application.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones