1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon iPhone Launch

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Blanco720, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

Wow that's pretty funny. I remember when the iPhone 4 launched on AT&T I preordered and received the phone the day before the actual launch. The next day I went to the Apple Store near my house and used their wifi to do a facetime call with a friend of mine to show her the people still in line. The line started the night before launch day and I went at 6PM on launch day and there were still around 200 people in line.

3. Yea they were insane

4. ttusomeone

ttusomeone Newbie

I still don't know why Verizon didn't wait until the iPhone 5 came out to do the launch.

5. Because they figure they will get some peeps now and some later

6. YouGotRedOnYou

YouGotRedOnYou Android Enthusiast

Nothing like buying a 7 month old phone, only to see a better version come out 5 months later that you won't get.

7. Allenfx

Allenfx Android Enthusiast

There were fights, and in some cases stabbings in those lines if i remember correctly.

It was the same for the PS2/PS3 launches...

My question is this...how stupid did those 35 Apple employees feel that morning having to go through that procedure for 2 people????

8. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

BAHAHAH, best part was in the video when the guy just walked right buy. no one else even in the mall ROFL

9. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

So they could do the same thing AT&T did with the iPhone 3: Lock people into a contract, and get them to re-up for another contract :)

10. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

truth is, most people ordered online

online sales sold out pretty quick

11. Truth is only sales were 500K that's not a sell out

12. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

yeah a lot of people already got their verizon Iphone 4....my dad is using an OG Droid on verizon and he said the network has been super slow (slower than normal)

13. Nice sucks for them

14. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

I'm actually pretty bummed that the Verizon iPhone launch wasn't as successful.

AT&T already made some moves in anticipation of the Verizon iPhone (e.g. reinstating unlimited data, Mobile-to-any-mobile, offering current iPhone owners incentives to stay). But after seeing the lackluster response, AT&T's probably going to pull back from doing anything more.

So while this is good news to AT&T share holders, this is actually bad news for current AT&T customers. I know people like to get caught up in brand wars. But in actuality, competition is a good thing and can only benefit the consumer.

15. It just goes to show. If the freaking network was so much better the numbers would have been dramatically higher. Hype and propaganda from big red. The color of.communism lol

16. Loiselle

Loiselle Well-Known Member

Well, I have a few friends who, too, are on the Verizon network with their new iPhones....

and they're complaining about traffic issues.

You had to have the iPhone, Verizon! You wanted it! You've got it!! Enjoy!!

17. Donatron

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. lol

18. Hey man remember in life you get what you ask for. All those who couldnt wait or jumped ship are gonna see. This time next year whose network will suck

19. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

Exactly. ATT had to build up their system to cope with the iPhone traffic, which is being freed up by having the "loud party" move to another town.

The good news/bad news for Verizon is they got what they wanted, but I think the honeymoon will be short-lived as their network gets loaded up, same as ATT already found out.

ATT's situation is looking good for now as traffic levels will drop, freeing up bandwidth. BUT, I'd expect traffic levels for all carriers to start ramping higher as everyone transitions to smartphones capable of GB of monthly data use.

20. mattbe213

mattbe213 Android Enthusiast

In a good way, I hope that this is what the parking lot looks like at my local at&t store. Its usually pretty busy when they open, plus I want to be the first customer of the day, getting the first 4G phone from at&t:D

Matt

21. JSchu22

JSchu22 Android Enthusiast

With the "successful" pre-order being current customers alone, the only thing Verizon has really done (so far) is recommit a bunch of their own customers.

22. I know how funny is it lol everyone thinking the mass exodus from ATT and it didn't really materialize

23. Donatron

When the iPhone 5 comes out this summer, I anticipate a lot more people making the switch. I know of a few people who want to switch to Verizon, but are waiting cuz they know the next iPhone is on the horizon (similarly, I have friends on AT&T who want to stay with AT&T, but are also waiting til summer to upgrade). Not only do they not want their phone to be obsolete in 5 months, but the new iPhone is expected to have LTE.