• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon is buying back Eris's for $132

This must be a mistake. No offence to ERIS owners, but how does an ERIS get $132, but the Motorola Droid is only worth $52? lol. Take advantage of this (possible) mistake asap if you guys want to exchange your ERIS's for something new :)

EDIT: Also just checked and the Droid X only fetches $96

Because their is a HUGE demand for these phones...Disney is going to be using them at their parks as "guides"...

Upvote 0
Because their is a HUGE demand for these phones...Disney is going to be using them at their parks as "guides"...

I lol'd. Used ERIS's can be found for around $50 pretty easily, how is the demand allowing VZ to pay so much for them? $132 if it can make outbound calls but only $33 if it cannot... I don't think the Disney "guides" need to make calls, so it certainly doesn't explain why the call-makers fetch so much but the non-callers do not. Seriously I think this must be a mistake :) So unhappy ERIS users should take advantage of it before it is corrected imo.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is would this phone be replaced under warranty if the warranty were still in effect? I imagine if the water indicator shows it was subject to a soaking, that Verizon will ask you to pay back the $132 that they sent you for the phone.

As for a phone with a replaced display, not replaced under warranty - the same thing applies. You may not get caught, but imagine that you were on the other end of that transaction. You'd be pretty disappointed if you learned that the seller withheld information about the status of the phone, right? I'd say it's best to tell the truth and accept the results. Be an ethical human.

What are you talking about replaced display? My display is the original display and everything works 100% perfect. It's not my fault that the water indicator in located in such a place that simple drizzling outside will cause it to activate :/ It certainly was never "soaked". Either way, there's no question asking about water damage indicator on the form. There doesn't even seem to be a slot where you can add miscellaneous information :/ VZ never fails to disappoint :'o

Upvote 0
What are you talking about replaced display? My display is the original display and everything works 100% perfect. It's not my fault that the water indicator in located in such a place that simple drizzling outside will cause it to activate.

That part was about this post, above yours: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/228336-verizon-buying-back-eriss-132-a-2.html#post2112218

I carry a baggie in the pocket of my coat, so that if I am caught in a rainstorm, I can pop the phone into the baggie to keep it from getting wet. That said, my phone has been with me in a "drizzle" several times, and I have carried it in my pocket while running to find that the phone is "sweating" when I get back - and my water indicator is pristine. You just had bad luck, I guess. Or it really got wet.

Upvote 0
By the way, as for the "Verizon never fails to disappoint", I actually think it's kind of cool that they offer to buy back handsets at all. I have never entered into an agreement to buy a cell phone with the understanding that the phone would have any sort if trade in value, or that the seller would be under any obligation to buy it back.

There is always ebay, where you're far more likely to get a competitive, fair-market value price (which, in looking just now, appears to be south of $132 for most completed auctions.)

Upvote 0
That part was about this post, above yours: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/228336-verizon-buying-back-eriss-132-a-2.html#post2112218

I carry a baggie in the pocket of my coat, so that if I am caught in a rainstorm, I can pop the phone into the baggie to keep it from getting wet. That said, my phone has been with me in a "drizzle" several times, and I have carried it in my pocket while running to find that the phone is "sweating" when I get back - and my water indicator is pristine. You just had bad luck, I guess. Or it really got wet.

My mistake, I thought that part about replaced display was aimed at me :)
By the way, as for the "Verizon never fails to disappoint", I actually think it's kind of cool that they offer to buy back handsets at all. I have never entered into an agreement to buy a cell phone with the understanding that the phone would have any sort if trade in value, or that the seller would be under any obligation to buy it back.

There is always ebay, where you're far more likely to get a competitive, fair-market value price (which, in looking just now, appears to be south of $132 for most completed auctions.)

I'm not complaining about verizon buying back phones, I just meant they could have had a slot to type miscellaneous info :) I understand that this is a great deal for us to be able to get paid for our old phones, I was just making a comment and didn't really mean anything by it.

Upvote 0
My mistake, I thought that part about replaced display was aimed at me :)

I was careless in my reply, and I can see why you thought that. My apologies.

I'm not complaining about verizon buying back phones, I just meant they could have had a slot to type miscellaneous info :) I understand that this is a great deal for us to be able to get paid for our old phones, I was just making a comment and didn't really mean anything by it.

Gotcha. Of course, by the time I am ready to upgrade, my Eris will be worth about as much as the pocket lint that's collected beneath the battery door.

(Actually, as long as it works, I am planning to keep it as a backup in case my new phone has an issue. I still have my old Q9m sitting in a drawer for the same reason.)

Upvote 0
My wife and I just took advantage of this offer and a BOGO on the Incredible. The DInc is buy one get one @ $99 and we get $132 for each of our Erii, that seemed like a combination of deals that we just couldn't pass up.
It's a good deal, but I'm sure I'll be a little sad when I pack up my Eris to send it back to Verizon, it's been a good little phone and introduced me to the joys of Android.

Upvote 0
Yes we had a two year contract, but my wife's phone showed as eligible for early upgrade. This didn't makes sense to me because we got our Erii at exactly the same time, but I wasn't going to argue.
BTW, this might work for you - because my phone wasn't eligible for the upgrade we also had to use their Smart Phones Talk Free promotion, which adds a line to the family plan but waives the usual 9.99 per month line charge. Naturally because this is a smart phone you have to add the $30 data plan. So on my old number we changed that to a regular feature phone (we had an old one laying around) and removed the data plan - in effect we 'moved' the data plan from one of the old lines to a new line so there is no increase in our monthly bill. I now have a new phone number, but I've forwarded calls from my old number to the new one so calls won't get lost. I'll let my family and friends know that I have a new number so they can all make the appropriate changes. It's a little bit of hassle, but well worth it considering the phone upgrade and the money back.

Upvote 0
Yes we had a two year contract, but my wife's phone showed as eligible for early upgrade. This didn't makes sense to me because we got our Erii at exactly the same time, but I wasn't going to argue.
BTW, this might work for you - because my phone wasn't eligible for the upgrade we also had to use their Smart Phones Talk Free promotion, which adds a line to the family plan but waives the usual 9.99 per month line charge. Naturally because this is a smart phone you have to add the $30 data plan. So on my old number we changed that to a regular feature phone (we had an old one laying around) and removed the data plan - in effect we 'moved' the data plan from one of the old lines to a new line so there is no increase in our monthly bill. I now have a new phone number, but I've forwarded calls from my old number to the new one so calls won't get lost. I'll let my family and friends know that I have a new number so they can all make the appropriate changes. It's a little bit of hassle, but well worth it considering the phone upgrade and the money back.

once you added the line you couldn't transfer the new phone to your old number? I thought you could move phones around however you wanted...

Upvote 0
once you added the line you couldn't transfer the new phone to your old number? I thought you could move phones around however you wanted...

I would have thought that also, but they didn't seem to be able to do that when we got the phones. I'd thought about waiting a few days and calling 611 to see if they could do that.
It may have something to do with the Smart Phones Talk Free promotion, which specifically states that you add a line for a smart phone.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how anyone has been eligible for early upgrade. I've seen it in other threads also, about 1 year.

I have called more times than I can count since the update that screwed these things up. I've always been told that there is no such thing as a 1 year upgrade unless I wanted to pay full price for a phone of my choice. We still have 8 months I think before we get any kind of deal.

How about the Droid X for $200? How are you guys getting that deal?

Upvote 0
Hey Caddyman. I'm ready to upgrade from my Eris and this buy-back seems great. I've always followed you on these forums so you've helped me more than you'll ever know (thank you by the way). So I'm getting the feeling that the DX is the way to go?? Seems cool to me but I would like to get your confirmation before I make the move. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'd be really surprised if Caddy recommended a specific phone. I suspect he'll lean towards something like "get what you feel is best for you", which is certainly what I'd say if someone asked me what phone to get. There really isn't any way for someone else to tell you what phone is best for you, what they hate you may love, and vice versa. After all, it tends to be the 'little' things that makes us love/hate a particular device, and those little things tend to be subjective not objective.

Upvote 0
While I agree that the Droid X is a nice phone, and would probably be fine, I might suggest upgrading to one while renewing your contract as a one year contract. I know how frustrated I am quite often that I am struggling with a slow, relatively underpowered phone, with the inability to upgrade at a reasonable price for another 7 months. The X will be over 2 years old when you are next able to upgrade at subsidized prices 20 months from now; with a one year contract, you'll be able to upgrade in 10 months, when the X is about 16 months old.

Or, of course, you can wait a month or two, if you can stand it, and get one of the cool new phones that were introduced at CES.

Upvote 0
OK...Hello, Im new here but Ive got a bugger of a question.
Already signed up for my $132 and the envelope is in the mail.
Problem is; cant get the phone to do a hard reset. (BTW I no longer have service having upgraded to an X). Anyway there is no Factory Reset in Settings> Security menu.
Directions also say hold Volume Down & Send button....WTH is the Send button on an Eris??? There are only 4 buttons (Vol up & down; phone & power) plus the trackball. Ive tried all possible combinations and nothing works.
Any help? Sure would hate to miss out on $132.
Thx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones