• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon is giving me a FREE upgrade to the TB

mrjerryk

May 23, 2010
Cincinnati OH
My wifes Moto Droid stopped working so I gave her my old Moto Droid the other day. So today I went into the Verizon store and they said they are going to send out a replacement phone to me.

I wasn't to satisfied with that because I have already replaced the Droid with 5 others so I called *611 and talked to Customer Service. I asked the CSR what my buy out would be so I could go to Sprint and they started to scramble to keep my business. I have 4 lines on my account so I'm pretty sure they didn't want to lose me as a customer. After being placed on hold for about 30 seconds the CSR said that he has ordered me a new HTC Thunderbolt and I should receive it in the mail on Monday. If after I receive the phone I still didn't want to stay with VZW I could return the phone and cancel my account.

BTW the upgrade was free for me also. Now I'm going to give the wife my Inc. and put the TB on my account.

It all depends on how you use the phone and what you have turned on. The Inc is also bad on battery life unless you turn some things off. Besides, I am at my desk all day so I can keep it on the charger if needed until I get an extended battery.

/begin rant.sarcastic
puh-shaw...turn off things on the phone? But it's a SMARTphone, I want it to be able to sync four mail accounts, five facebook accounts, two twitter accounts and my three readers. And I NEED GPS throughout the day, so my buzzes will be location-specific. I'm a bloody American and I'm entitled to a smartphone that can do all that and still have enough juice left for the next day WITHOUT charging.
/end rant.sarcastic

Seriously though, the Thunderbolt can last a long while if you turn off sync for things you don't need pushed to you. I have my phone pushing gmail, calendar and contacts only, fb, twitter, and rss feeds are only synced when I open the apps. With regular use, my phone still has 50% after 10 hours unplugged.

Upvote 0
Great news. Hope you enjoy your phone. That's quite an upgrade. Verizon has done this type of thing for me numerous times. They do like to hold on to their long-term custmers and big accounts.

If you live in a 4G area, seriously consider getting the 2750 mAh extended battery or at least 1 or 2 back-up 1400 mAh batteries. I always get 3 batteries for my phones because I like a bright screen and all the bells & whistles turned on.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones