• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] JB Root and OTA Updates

psycoking

Feb 26, 2012
The JB update kinda snuck up on me. I missed the warning, and the phone updated itself while I was away from my desk. So now I'm on 4.1.1 sans Root.

The guide everyone points to for rooting JB has you install a custom recovery, but from what I've heard you cannot accept OTA updates if you have a custom recovery on your phone.

I usually don't dabble in custom ROMs until after official support for a phone has ended, so I would still like to be able to receive OTA updates on my phone after rooting. Can I still get OTA updates with a custom recovery installed? If not, how do I flash back to stock recovery?

If you're rooted and check XDA or here on a regular basis you'll know when an OTA is eminent because it'll be available early and talked about quite a bit. It's just as easy to unroot a device as it is to root it in case you want to accept the OTA instead of flashing it from a dev who's baked it into their ROM already.

Upvote 0
The JB update kinda snuck up on me. I missed the warning, and the phone updated itself while I was away from my desk. So now I'm on 4.1.1 sans Root.

The guide everyone points to for rooting JB has you install a custom recovery, but from what I've heard you cannot accept OTA updates if you have a custom recovery on your phone.

I usually don't dabble in custom ROMs until after official support for a phone has ended, so I would still like to be able to receive OTA updates on my phone after rooting. Can I still get OTA updates with a custom recovery installed? If not, how do I flash back to stock recovery?

who cares about OTA's when you're rooted? if you're rooted you will get the OTA early, flash it yourself and keep root

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a minimalist solution here. I plan on doing this to my brother's phone as well and he's not going to want to be rooting/unrooting his phone or flashing updates manually.

I hoping for a solution where I can accept OTA updates and restore root using an app like OTA RootKeeper. From what I understand I need to be on stock recovery for that to work.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a minimalist solution here. I plan on doing this to my brother's phone as well and he's not going to want to be rooting/unrooting his phone or flashing updates manually.

I hoping for a solution where I can accept OTA updates and restore root using an app like OTA RootKeeper. From what I understand I need to be on stock recovery for that to work.

To be completely, brutally honest...

- If you're not comfortable flashing in recovery..Your phone shouldn't be rooted...period. I would even go as far as saying if you're not comfortable using programs like ODIN or RSDLite than you shouldn't root...

- Custom recoveries allow much more freedom in how updates are installed...and in my opinion are a safer solution for installing updates than an OTA...

I've had more issues accepting OTAs than I have EVER had with a flash in recovery..

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
To be completely, brutally honest...

- If you're not comfortable flashing in recovery..Your phone shouldn't be rooted...period. I would even go as far as saying if you're not comfortable using programs like ODIN or RSDLite than you shouldn't root...

- Custom recoveries allow much more freedom in how updates are installed...and in my opinion are a safer solution for installing updates than an OTA...

I've had more issues accepting OTAs than I have EVER had with a flash in recovery..

I'm comfortable enough using custom recovery and the tools used for flashing phones. That's not the point. Basically, I don't want to manage updates myself. I've never had issues with OTAs, so I'm fine with samsung/verizon pushing the updates to me whenever, and prefer it that way.

I guess you can say I'm being lazy about this, but the truth is I don't really do anything special with root apart from using a small handful of apps that require it, so I'd prefer to keep the hassle involved with updating while rooted to a minimum. The less I have to connect my phone up to a PC the better.

I've read that people have had success with OTA Rootkeeper on JB, and I meant to install it before the update, but procrastination got the better of me. Right now, I want to set up my phone so that I can accept OTA updates and keep root using rootkeeper, but I need to revert to stock recovery to do so. My google-fu has failed me, as the only guides I find for getting stock recovery back on my phone are designed around unrooting the phone and returning everything on it to stock.

Basically, I'm looking for a guide that says "Here's how to uninstall CWM and get back to stock recovery without unrooting your phone." Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones