1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] JB Root and OTA Updates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by psycoking, Jan 3, 2013.

1. psycoking

psycoking Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    The JB update kinda snuck up on me. I missed the warning, and the phone updated itself while I was away from my desk. So now I'm on 4.1.1 sans Root.

The guide everyone points to for rooting JB has you install a custom recovery, but from what I've heard you cannot accept OTA updates if you have a custom recovery on your phone.

I usually don't dabble in custom ROMs until after official support for a phone has ended, so I would still like to be able to receive OTA updates on my phone after rooting. Can I still get OTA updates with a custom recovery installed? If not, how do I flash back to stock recovery?

Advertisement

2. greenmunky

greenmunky Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX
    If you're rooted and check XDA or here on a regular basis you'll know when an OTA is eminent because it'll be available early and talked about quite a bit. It's just as easy to unroot a device as it is to root it in case you want to accept the OTA instead of flashing it from a dev who's baked it into their ROM already.

3. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    who cares about OTA's when you're rooted? if you're rooted you will get the OTA early, flash it yourself and keep root

4. psycoking

psycoking Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    I'm looking for a minimalist solution here. I plan on doing this to my brother's phone as well and he's not going to want to be rooting/unrooting his phone or flashing updates manually.

I hoping for a solution where I can accept OTA updates and restore root using an app like OTA RootKeeper. From what I understand I need to be on stock recovery for that to work.

5. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    To be completely, brutally honest...

- If you're not comfortable flashing in recovery..Your phone shouldn't be rooted...period. I would even go as far as saying if you're not comfortable using programs like ODIN or RSDLite than you shouldn't root...

- Custom recoveries allow much more freedom in how updates are installed...and in my opinion are a safer solution for installing updates than an OTA...

I've had more issues accepting OTAs than I have EVER had with a flash in recovery..

Mikestony likes this.
  6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Wow, that's brutal! :ahhhhh: :rofl:
    I'm kidding

7. psycoking

psycoking Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    I'm comfortable enough using custom recovery and the tools used for flashing phones. That's not the point. Basically, I don't want to manage updates myself. I've never had issues with OTAs, so I'm fine with samsung/verizon pushing the updates to me whenever, and prefer it that way.

I guess you can say I'm being lazy about this, but the truth is I don't really do anything special with root apart from using a small handful of apps that require it, so I'd prefer to keep the hassle involved with updating while rooted to a minimum. The less I have to connect my phone up to a PC the better.

I've read that people have had success with OTA Rootkeeper on JB, and I meant to install it before the update, but procrastination got the better of me. Right now, I want to set up my phone so that I can accept OTA updates and keep root using rootkeeper, but I need to revert to stock recovery to do so. My google-fu has failed me, as the only guides I find for getting stock recovery back on my phone are designed around unrooting the phone and returning everything on it to stock.

Basically, I'm looking for a guide that says "Here's how to uninstall CWM and get back to stock recovery without unrooting your phone." Any help would be appreciated.