• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Jelly Bean boot up problems

So I didn't backup anything to my computer after venturing out into the land of Jelly Bean (for the second time, this time JellyBelly 3.4!) and soft bricks. I soft bricked and couldn't get back to anything!

Should have backed up...except...i fastboot flashed TWRP recovery, mounted usb and am currently pulling my entire sdcard to a folder on my Ubuntu laptop. Sure, I have to work at 6:30a, but I can't loose the pictures of my son and family.

Thank you for this glorious post. You saved me a lot of anguish. It was already bad enough someone stole my wife's phone and cost us all her photos. My tinkering shouldn't be the cause of any more lost photos.

Thank you.

jmar

No problem ;) The whole internet...and I never read that either. Luckily I just thought "let me try one more thing".

I cannot get the sdk to see the device because the device keeps rebooting, what then. It stays on in bootloader, but when I type adb devices, no devices are found. Please help.

As a result of trying several things, I also messed up the recovery to where I no longer can go into recovery at all. Is there any hope for my phone?

If you can still get into fastboot you should be able to flash a recovery. Download the toolkit because it shows you what you can do in various modes.

adb commands go nowhere, I have had it working before this issue, but I will try the driver you suggest. Thanks and I will let you know.

ADB won't work in fastboot. You have to be booted into the OS or in recovery (twrp is the only recovery that I could get ADB to work in).

Upvote 0
Even with the source being out, are the ROMs still based off the GSM version?

I just find it frustrating that every JB ROM I have used they all brick themselves after the first reboot of using it

Make sure you are using the jelly bean bootloader. And jelly bean does an error check on the partitions before booting so it can take 5 minutes or so before it gets past the Google screen.

I've been using bugless beast for a few weeks and rebooting at least once a week with no issues.

Upvote 0
interesting thread.

i have been on CWM Touch recovery 5.8.0.2 since it landed. i have flashed and dirty flashed, a bunch of JB's roms, JB nandroids, etc, with no problems, no bootloops, anything.

i haven't noticed anyone mention superwipe, team bamf i think strongly recommended using it before coming from a ICS roms, which i did, idk if that is the difference it not but it's worth a try if you are having issues.

http://goo.gl/Lerzy

i never did me wrong, i only used it once after i left ICS. backup your phone to your pc just in case.

Upvote 0
OK, I've got a couple of silly questions and/or comments.

One. Now that the JB source has dropped since the creation of this thread and there is now a huge proliferation of JB roms; and especially since the consensus is to flash the JB bootloader now that we have it, is there any other reasons, cautions, or concerns why not to flash a JB rom? Other than the fact to make sure you flash the JB bootloader, do we still need to backup our whole internal storage as well still?

Two. If 'One' above is pretty much true, does this still need to be a 'sticky'? Especially since there is now a poll about the best JB roms.

Upvote 0
I am running AOKP for less then 24hrs now and I got stuck at the Google boot screen this morning after a restart, took about an hour of wiping and reinstalling in many different orders until I was able to bring it back to life.

Did you flash the Jellybean bootloader? It is available at Peter Alfonso's site.

Reactions: tjbugs1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones