• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon jellybean

It can be overwhelming your first go at it but if you use WUGS to unlock/ root the phone it will be easier for you. I recommend Pete's bugless beast for a good stable ROM. Now go to the Verizon root section and get your head spinning!

How about a link to simple instructions to get to jelly beans on a stock Verizon phone. Sorry I'm a noob and don't want to wait 3 months

Upvote 0
It can be overwhelming your first go at it but if you use WUGS to unlock/ root the phone it will be easier for you. I recommend Pete's bugless beast for a good stable ROM. Now go to the Verizon root section and get your head spinning!

Well I just went in there, yeah I don't know which

Thread to even go into. Maybe a cool video of step by step would be helpful.... Or just wait urgg

Upvote 0
I couldn't wait anymore for VZW, so I got root (I was already unlocked) using Wug's toolkit and flashed Bugless Beast. Wug's is really straightforward and walks you through what you need to do. Just make sure to follow the directions and be patient while you backup whatever's on your phone.

As for BB, I went with this ROM because it seemed like it was the most stable and easiest to set up based on the comments in the various JB ROM threads. Flashing BB was so smooth and I haven't encountered any bugs (yet). I highly recommend for noob rooters that want JB.

Reactions: bandv4ever
Upvote 0
You just gotta dig in and start reading. Everything. Twice. And always BACKUP!!

When I first heard there would be an upgrade in a few months for a version out now, I decided to root and ditch Verizon's slow ass software. I read every resource I could find, and jumped in. That was three years ago with an og droid. Now I could probably flash roms in my sleep. sure, it can be intimidating, but be careful and you'll figure it out.

Upvote 0
You just gotta dig in and start reading. Everything. Twice. And always BACKUP!!

When I first heard there would be an upgrade in a few months for a version out now, I decided to root and ditch Verizon's slow ass software. I read every resource I could find, and jumped in. That was three years ago with an og droid. Now I could probably flash roms in my sleep. sure, it can be intimidating, but be careful and you'll figure it out.

Thank you that was nice of you.... Here I go!!!!

Upvote 0
You've most likely got at least 3 months if you're waiting for the official Verizon release. There are stable Jelly Bean roms out there if you're up to rooting.

I don't doubt it MAY take that long but I wouldn't say 3 months. Verizon (IMHO) will take 6-8 weeks to test if they choose to and since Google should get this to them soon, I would guess 8 weeks is more likely.

Just my opinion.

This is different from branded phones with UI ..... this could come quicker if verizon chooses but 8 weeks would be my guess.

Upvote 0
I don't doubt it MAY take that long but I wouldn't say 3 months. Verizon (IMHO) will take 6-8 weeks to test if they choose to and since Google should get this to them soon, I would guess 8 weeks is more likely.

Just my opinion.

This is different from branded phones with UI ..... this could come quicker if verizon chooses but 8 weeks would be my guess.

4.0.4 didn't take 3 months from the GSM push to the VZW push, so I'm not expecting 3 months now.

Also, isn't JB Google's solution to the sales injunction that Apple won? Thus, without JB, isn't Verizon in violation of the injunction for selling the Nexus? Or can they sell what's already been imported?

I don't know really, but I feel that if JB is the solution, there's a chance VZW gets it out a little more quickly.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Care to elaborate? :)

I've also read that JB drops Adobe Flash support. That sounds like a significant negative in the short run for folks who like to watch Youtube video, etc.

you can still watch youtube vids on JB and as far as elaborating it's just much smoother and makes this phone perform like a champ. . there is plenty of review vids of JB on youtube check them out

Upvote 0
4.0.4 didn't take 3 months from the GSM push to the VZW push, so I'm not expecting 3 months now.

Also, isn't JB Google's solution to the sales injunction that Apple won? Thus, without JB, isn't Verizon in violation of the injunction for selling the Nexus? Or can they sell what's already been imported?

I don't know really, but I feel that if JB is the solution, there's a chance VZW gets it out a little more quickly.

There is a stay on the injunction while Samsung waits for an appeal, which has been fast tracked. So the Nexus can continue to be sold for the next few months. In fact, my guess is that the Nexus replacement will probably be announced before a sales ban goes back into place.

In Google's announcement of the OTA updates of JB, they mentioned that while it is going first to the Nexus HSPA+, that all versions on the Nexus would be among the first few devices to get the update. Many people's guess is that the Verizon JB update will likely be in about a month.

Upvote 0
Does Jelly Bean offer significant benefits/features over ICS? I've heard about "Project Butter" and wonder if it noticeably improves performance?

I don't know about significant. The keyboard is better, the new voice search is much better, and the general experience is smoother. The rest is just small tweaks and improvements.

You won't look at it and say "Wow, this is so different from ICS!". It looks and behaves almost exactly like ICS, just smoother. That is not to minimize the work that went into it. It's great. But ICS was pretty great too.

Reactions: bubbaken
Upvote 0
Reactions: hairypiglet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones