• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Just need a little clarification before installing FIRST EVER custom ROM

zzpree

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle
OK, so I have a rooted and unlocked S3 on big Red's network.

My clarification (I may not say this right, so forgive me)

When I rooted my phone,I decided to use TWRP recovery. Now,this allows me to do what exactly? Custom recovery right? What makes this custom?

I have backed up my phone using TitaniumBU the decided route was Apps+ system data. I have done a bit of reading, and still am not clear on the following.

When I rooted my phone and installed TWRP did that automatically create a factory image point for me to restore to, or does having this just allow me to operate in the background in the event I make a mistake and soft brick my phone?

The other thing I have done, is use TBU backing up APPS+ System data. Is this sufficient enough to restore my phone in the event I screw some thing up? I named this file nandroid and all I have done is copy that file to my pc.

AND, I have a 16gb sd card I have been using from my old DROIDX.

When I use my PC to view the files I have two options, one says Card, the other, Phone......... under phone, is where I found my TitaniumBU file. Does this mean I have been backing up to the internal storage? Does anyone know how to change that in TBU?

Lastly, the nandroid file for my backup is for a rooted device. Does this matter? How would I flash back to the very begining before the ROOT?

DAMN that was long for you to read. Sorry:D

Again, I appreciate the help, and after I figure this stuff out I too will pass along what I have learned to someone new. This is not in vain LOL.

OK, so I have a rooted and unlocked S3 on big Red's network.

My clarification (I may not say this right, so forgive me)

When I rooted my phone,I decided to use TWRP recovery. Now,this allows me to do what exactly? Custom recovery right? What makes this custom? It is not the stock recovery...i'ts not what came with the phone

I have backed up my phone using TitaniumBU the decided route was Apps+ system data. I have done a bit of reading, and still am not clear on the following. Just backup apps, not system data to be safe:) Because that is all you will be restoring, is user apps and data

When I rooted my phone and installed TWRP did that automatically create a factory image point for me to restore to, or does having this just allow me to operate in the background in the event I make a mistake and soft brick my phone? When you use TWRP to make a backup, it is basically a restore point for your phone...like a game save point. If something ever goes wonky, you can restore that backup that you have made, and you phone will be the way it was when the backup was made

The other thing I have done, is use TBU backing up APPS+ System data. Is this sufficient enough to restore my phone in the event I screw some thing up? I named this file nandroid and all I have done is copy that file to my pc. See my reply above....just backing up user apps is sufficient. And saving it to your computer is a good thing and also keep it on your sd card for sure. As far as renaming, I am not clear on that. If it is renamed wrong, TB wont find it when you try to restore

AND, I have a 16gb sd card I have been using from my old DROIDX. Did you format it first?

When I use my PC to view the files I have two options, one says Card, the other, Phone......... under phone, is where I found my TitaniumBU file. Does this mean I have been backing up to the internal storage? Does anyone know how to change that in TBU? The "card is your external card..the phone is your internal storage (sd card) And yes there is a way to change the path to backups...Go into TB, menu/preferences/BackupFolderLocation. Use the "back" key to browse to the /storage/extSdCard

Lastly, the nandroid file for my backup is for a rooted device. Does this matter? How would I flash back to the very begining before the ROOT? You would have to flash a factory image via Odin..I can link that guide later if you want

DAMN that was long for you to read. Sorry:D Dont be sorry, this is how we learn...asking questions:)

Again, I appreciate the help, and after I figure this stuff out I too will pass along what I have learned to someone new. This is not in vain LOL.

My replies in RED TEXT

Edit: also, I p.m.'ed you yesterday:)

Reactions: dkl1 and zzpree
Upvote 0
I can type up a little list of how I flash a rom if you would like:)

Edit: I'll do it anyways:
1. find the rom of your liking and download it to your computer.
2. Move it to your phone.... I move it to my ext sd card.
3. I find the rom on my sd card, long press on it, select "properties" , select "Show Checksum", select "MD5" and wait until it gives you a long number. Compare that to the md5 that was posted on the rom download site. If they are the same, the file is clean. If not, it is corrupt and then you need to redownload.
4. Use TB backup to perform a backup of my Apps.
5. Backup any contacts (mine are saved in google so I need not worry about that)
6. Save any text messages or voicemails. TB has that option to do that. Well, maybe not VM's
7. Boot into recovery and make a backup. Make a backup. Make a backup. Yes I typed that 3 times:p Dont make 3 backups:p Just making sure that you make a backup:)
8. Now, the instructions to flash the rom are basically the same...see the rom's site for directions.
8a. I wipe what it tells me to wipe, and I wipe it 3 times.
9. Flash the rom. (flash gapps if the rom requires it--AOSP roms) The roms site will tell you. Go back in recovery to reboot.
10. Let it boot up.
11. Sign into google/gmail etc.
12. Go to the Play Store and download TB, then TB prokey (very important to get the prokey) It will remember that you purchased the pro key...no need to worry about repurchasing it.
13. Open TB and go to "batch mode" and click on the "run" tab on the left by "missing apps and data" under the "Restore" section. Make sure that the box is checked next to "Exclude system apps"
You can restore "App and data", "App only", or "data only". Since this is a fresh rom flash, I choose "App and data". You can uncheck any app you do not want to restore. When done making selections, click on the green checkmark at the top right.
14. PROFIT!

I think that's all...lemme proofread this a minute:)

Reactions: dkl1 and zzpree
Upvote 0
(Q)When I rooted my phone,I decided to use TWRP recovery. Now,this allows me to do what exactly? Custom recovery right? What makes this custom?

(A) Twrp allows you to boot your rooted device to a recovery console that allows you to do several things:
Backup your current system(stock or custom)
Recover to any/all saved recovery files
Wipe the entire memory of the device
Also many other utilities. You can see all of what can be done once booted into twrp.

(Q)I have backed up my phone using TitaniumBU the decided route was Apps+ system data. I have done a bit of reading, and still am not clear on the following.

When I rooted my phone and installed TWRP did that automatically create a factory image point for me to restore to, or does having this just allow me to operate in the background in the event I make a mistake and soft brick my phone?

(A)No. Boot into recovery & do a backup of your current system. It will then be listed as 1 of your backups that can be recovered to/installed from in twrp recovery. I would name it something that you can easily remember like (Factory rom,etc.) Also be sure to sync your contacts & settings with your google account. they will automatically be restored as soon as your device comes back online. If you do not have a Google acct, set 1 up,(settings/accounts/add account) & sync your contacts/settings first before installing/changing roms.

(Q)When I use my PC to view the files I have two options, one says Card, the other, Phone......... under phone, is where I found my TitaniumBU file. Does this mean I have been backing up to the internal storage? Does anyone know how to change that in TBU?

(A)Not sure on that. However, once booted into Twrp, you can choose to save backups to external storage, with the option to name your backups. Possibly to change the destination save folder in titaniumBU, go through the settings in the app.

Upvote 0
Heeeeeeeeeeey Mikestony!!!!! TALONTRAX!!!!!! Thanks!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

1) I did not format it first. (SHOULD I)?
2) after using the back key to see storage/extsd all I see is:

/storage/sdcard0/TitaniumBackup
/storage/sdcard0
/storage

NO /extsd???????????? (weird)

Not sure if I have a factory image. I have the following in TWRP after I reboot in recovery mode I see 8 menus:

Install
Backup
Mount
Advanced
Wipe
Restore
Settings
Reboot

Today was the first time I used the BACKUP function. So, that being said I have backed up an Image of a rooted device I named this NANDROID it is the only file I see in RESTORE.

DOES Odin have a copy of the factory image? I do not believe I have one now. Only my Rooted version.
:):):):):):)

Upvote 0
Personally, in my opinion only, I would format the sd card first, then use it.
Not saying it wont work, but I like a clean card with a new phone.

When you open TB, at the very bottom, is there a "Ext. SD card" line?

As far as going back to factory settings, see this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1867253

Reactions: zzpree
Upvote 0
So, I bought a new card (Can never have too many right?)

Also, seen here in TBU no /storage/ extsd\

Never uploaded pics before, hope it works :):D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    225.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_2012-12-31-12-21-55.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-31-12-21-55.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
So, I bought a new card (Can never have too many right?)

Also, seen here in TBU no /storage/ extsd\

Never uploaded pics before, hope it works :):D
Keep hitting the back button while in that screen on the right until you are at:
/storage

Then scroll down the list until you see :
extSDcard underneath.
ydazy3ed.jpg

Select that...
let me see if I can post a better pic

Upvote 0
Oooooooooooooooh ok got it!!! Thanks:D:D:D

Sometimes you just need another set of eyes. I don't want to brick my phone. Not to mention, I am not very savy at executing the commands. I know what I want to do, but don't want to make a mistake.

I have over 40 hours into this. I read, read, and read, but I am one of those hands on/ visual learners.

We are getting very close now to CLEANROM 5.5.1

:beer::beer:

Upvote 0
Nice, it is the correct md5 now, I don't see a step by step guide on SCOTT'S ROM I am reading conflicting info online....

Did you copy the ROM.zip to your external card right? I am reading a 3rd party guide that says to place it on your internal card???
I guess you can put it on either.
In recovery, when you choose the "flash .zip from sd card" option (or something like that), I think you can choose either the internal or external sd card. I know in CWM recovery you can. Before wiping, just check to see if you can get to it first (in recovery)...if you can, then back out to the wipe menu.
His instructions are in the first post::D

Code:
MUST have unlocked boot loader! Flashing this device on locked bootloader will result in a non booting device until you unlock it!
Must have custom recovery installed. I recommend the latest version of twrp.
Copy ROM to storage
Reboot to Recovery
Recommend wiping data / Factory Reset in Recovery!
Flash ROM and choose options
Reboot to System
Profit!H]

I wiped data 3 times. I factory reset 3 times before flash...but that's just me.
Remember to MAKE A BACKUP if you have not already:) then flash.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones