1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] Just ordered new Galaxy S5 from Verizon. Couple q?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by musiclover7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. musiclover7

musiclover7 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi all,

So I just ordered a new Galaxy S5 from Verizon, which should be coming in the mail on Monday. I have been stuck in the IPhone/Blackberry world for years which were the only two phones my company would allow us to use until now. I have been jealous of my wife's Galaxy S4 since she got it, and being someone with strong computer skills (I work in IT, can read some code, but can't yet write my own beyond basics), have been pining to own one and start tweaking.

I came into this forum looking for some decent custom roms for the S5, maybe a recent (use this method to root) guide. I gather that Verizon may have policies etc that make it a bit more difficult to achieve and maintain root. Not that it looks that hard. I rooted my Nexus 7 a year ago no problem. It just seems from what I am reading, that they tend to update firmware semi frequently and when they do, new methods need to be implemented to get the job done. I'm used this, coming from IPhone, where the company tends to break jailbreak every 5-6 minor releases.

Anyways, there is a lot I don't know. I've been reading, trying to learn as much as I can, but I seem to be acquiring new info in piece mail. I get a little bit from this forum thread, a little more from another, and then some solid if basic info from this web page, etc. A lot of stuff may be 6 months old, and I can't tell if it is still applicable.

I guess I am after some advice. I would love to have a bible or manual, that explains all, if such a thing exists. I would not mind expanding my knowledge to the point where I can code my own ROMS, etc, but for now I just want to know the rudiments involved with rooting. It also seems like there is a painful lack of custom roms that exist for the Verizon Galaxy S5. Is this true? If so, will that change? A year or so ago when I was looking for my wife's phone, I remember seeing tons of options. Of course, she is not on Verizon. I get my phone for free through the company I work for, hence... Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.