1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] [KERNEL][4.0.2 & 4.0.3] HeyItsLou

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbdan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

For those that took the journey with the Inc I'd assume you know HeyItsLou and his Incredible dev work. He jumped into kernels after rom'ing and they were/are excellent.

For anyone who hasn't jumped to a 4.0.3 ROM he has a bone stock 4.0.2 optimized kernel (only root and cwm required NO deodexed needed). Not many 4.0.2 kernels out there (only 2 I know of Lou and Adryn) so this is nice!

Kernel Link

His vision & kernels focus on stability and battery life.

Defiant v1 is for 4.0.3
    v2 Toro is for 4.0.2

Self note: default governor is ondemand. I've only had smooth performance from the Interactive governor. Ondemand is very jerky imo. Use setcpu to change the governor if you wish to do so.

Enjoy!

darkcyber, trophynuts and SolidOrange like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

If flashing on a 4.0.2 ROM use v2.

Always always make a backup.

Wipe Dalvik cache prior to kernel install that is all :D

3. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuGE fan of Lou's #8 for the Inc. I'll be giving this a shot tonight. I'm still on 4.0.2 so this works perfectly. I was hoping Lou would do some G Nex Kernals.

now if Chad from IncrediKernal will get in on it we would be set :)

jbdan likes this.
  4. jbdan

As well, a huge fan of Mr ChAD I'd love to see him migrate to the GN also!

Seriously, the GN dev community already has some of the biggest hitters in the business. And wha? how long this phone been out? Amazing! :D

5. trophynuts

yeah it was a given though. And i'm super pumped about it lol. I haven't tried any mods yet other than just unlocking and rooting.

I'm letting all the devs get their feet wet first. Also i want to take the OTA 4.0.3 when it lands to get the latest radios.

however...i will be trying this kernal tonight lol hellloooooooooooooo better battery life.

I also assume that soon a kernal will come out addressing the screen time usage on the battery. It seems that even when the phone is locked the screen is still sucking juice...at least that is what i think.

6. jbdan

A given yes, but to see it come to fruition, priceless :D

I haven't seen this with the latest 4.0.3 ROMs I've tried. Also some of the kernels I've been using allow for UV'ing so that even adds more to the battery life. I easily get the same battery life as my Inc running CM7 (1800mah extended battery mind you) if not more and on 4G. It wasn't this way the first week as I was barely making it through the day, albeit satisfactory for me.

7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

You know we'll have the latest radios way before the OTA rolls out right?:D I don't believe you will need the OTA. Some of these roms are pretty sweet, you might want to give 'er a go.

WormDoes likes this.
  8. trophynuts

actually the leaked radios came out last week. but i would rather wait on the finalized version of the updated radios. Yeah i've been hearing good things about the 4.0.3 roms but i'm still soaking in stock Anddroid at the moment :)

9. jester6x

jester6x Well-Known Member

Any real world results after trying these? I was going to stay rooted and bone stock but this is intriguing.

10. trophynuts

i just flashed it tonight. It will be a day or two before i know results.

11. jbdan

Sweet! Let us know what you think after some time with it.

12. trophynuts

Will do

jbdan likes this.
  13. mdevitre

mdevitre Lurker

I have it installed over Android Rev2.1.2 and it is screaming fast. Definite improvement.

jbdan likes this.
  14. jbdan

v2? Thanks for reporting in ;) keep us apprised!

15. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

I always chuckle when I see people (mainly on Twitter) trying a new kernel everyday and swearing "it's working great-best kernel yet"

It takes at least 3 days at a minimum for the kernel to fully settle in and for you to see the real results.

I was a big fan of Lou's #9 on my Inc. When he got a TB I was hoping he'd make AOSP kernels, but he didn't. Very happy to see him join the party on the Nexus.

I'm using Fab's Apex right now. Then I'm going to try Imoseyon's and then Lou's. I ran Adrynalyn's 4.0.2 version for a few days and it was really good. I just made the jump to 4.0.3 ROMs solely for the abundance of kernels :D IMO, they make the real difference, not the ROM

trophynuts and jbdan like this.
  16. trophynuts

agreed

i need a couple of days before i can make an assessment

17. jbdan

I get what your saying worm. I think you are referring mostly to battery life.

There are obvious 1st impression performance improvements/glitches/degrades that strike the experienced users.

48 hours and 2-3 charge cycles are plenty imo with a kernel if you're using the phone well.

I love Imo's 1.1.0 UV'd (battery life is ahhhhh :D) and have been running Lou's for the past day. Initial impressions with Lou's are good as expected, super stable. Franco's, performance wise, seem to be almost "other worldly" albeit touchy depending on which nightly :p

And I agree, well developed kernels can make even a mediocre ROM sweet!

18. trophynuts

Okay just checking in here. I've been using this Kernel since last Thursday. I can say that FOR ME it didn't help really at all. I wasn't able to function as a normal usage day until today and i got no more battery life than stock and the phone doesn't really run any faster.

Now with that said I Lou has said in his video that he is going to re visit and start from scratch on a new Kernel. Specifically one that will work with his new Redemption Rom.

I'm not about to flash his Redemption Rom to see how it is. Using the Stock Kernel

See ya

jbdan likes this.
  19. jbdan

It was great for me. BUT because I changed the gov in setcpu to Interactive. On-Demand is default with his kernel & it was a dog. Thx for reporting in!

20. trophynuts

lol krap ...i didn't do that. Oh well lol

21. jbdan

lol :)

His upcoming 1.0.2 rom is looking mighty tempting!

22. jackburnt

jackburnt Android Enthusiast

Bout to install this one on my stock GN since it's the best 4.0.2 I've seen so far. I'm ready to dip my big toe in the jacuzzi that is ROMs/Kernels.

23. jbdan

gl! Lous stuff is solid!

24. jackburnt

jackburnt Android Enthusiast

So far so good. I also splurged and bought SetCPU from the Market. I was using an old, old version from XDA.

Kernel's fine so far, but too early too tell.

I love SetCPU's Interactive profile though. Bounces it to 1.2ghz when I need it then 300 when I don't!

jbdan likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews