• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [KERNEL][4.0.3] Der Kernel (Trinity)

i am running the 512 right now, still can't believe the straight line across the battery stats graph while the screen is off. :eek:

512 any, 512 RD or 512b...after reading the thread over at rootz I still have nooooooo clue which of the variants anyone is running:/

Any who, I downloaded RD but am going to wait to flash one of these kernels sometime at the end of the week. Test Franco 13.1 right now. Thanks Solid!

Upvote 0
512 any, 512 RD or 512b...after reading the thread over at rootz I still have nooooooo clue which of the variants anyone is running:/

Any who, I downloaded RD but am going to wait to flash one of these kernels sometime at the end of the week. Test Franco 13.q right now. Thanks Solid!

i had to ask over at rootzwiki as well. :D

the "RD" version has ram disk tweaks built into the kernel. it can be used on any rom that does not have it's own ram disk tweaks built in (AOKP, Codename, etc).

the "any" version has no ram disk tweaks built into the kernel so that you can use it with a rom that already has them (CM9, Liquid Smooth, etc). the "any" version can also be used on any other ROM if you do not want ram disk tweaks at all.

currently, i am using 512 RD with Codename. hopefully my explanation was more helpful than confusing, lol. ;)

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
i had to ask over at rootzwiki as well. :D

the "RD" version has ram disk tweaks built into the kernel. it can be used on any rom that does not have it's own ram disk tweaks built in (AOKP, Codename, etc).

the "any" version has no ram disk tweaks built into the kernel so that you can use it with a rom that already has them (CM9, Liquid Smooth, etc). the "any" version can also be used on any other ROM if you do not want ram disk tweaks at all.

currently, i am using 512 RD with Codename. hopefully my explanation was more helpful than confusing, lol. ;)

Yeah totally because I want the straight line, too. I am testing Franco 13.1 for the week and then I am going to try RD! I look forward to some more of your reporting of how it fares for you.

Upvote 0
/me is all confused about this Trinity kernel as well lol.

SolidOrange, which Trinity kernel are you running and how is it going for you? I had to do some flashing last night (and of course again today). Partially my fault, partially my addiction lol.

How is it running for you? I just did a fresh install of CNA 1.2 and am ready to flash a new kernel, was wondering if I should give this a shot?

What settings are you running with SetCPU?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
/me is all confused about this Trinity kernel as well lol.

SolidOrange, which Trinity kernel are you running and how is it going for you? I had to do some flashing last night (and of course again today). Partially my fault, partially my addiction lol.

How is it running for you? I just did a fresh install of CNA 1.2 and am ready to flash a new kernel, was wondering if I should give this a shot?

What settings are you running with SetCPU?

Thanks!

i am running the 512 RD version, as i said above. this thing simply flies, GPU overclocking is extremely nice for gaming, and battery life with the screen off is insane. i haven't run a full day without being plugged in, so i can't comment on how well it handles up-time yet, but i will update with a battery life test in the next day or two. :cool:

i am running 1350 max/350 min with the interactive governor in SetCPU.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
i am running the 512 RD version, as i said above. this thing simply flies, GPU overclocking is extremely nice for gaming, and battery life with the screen off is insane. i haven't run a full day without being plugged in, so i can't comment on how well it handles up-time yet, but i will update with a battery life test in the next day or two. :cool:

i am running 1350 max/350 min with the interactive governor in SetCPU.

Thanks man. Looks like the one you are running is the first choice on his website. Sorry for not reading through your prior post. :eek:

I will wipe dalvik cache here and give it a flash. I've heard good things about this kernel so wanted to give it a go.

Cheers!

P.S. Now I must learn to run a rom and kernel for more than 24 to 48 hours lol! :p

Upvote 0
Thanks man. Looks like the one you are running is the first choice on his website. Sorry for not reading through your prior post. :eek:

I will wipe dalvik cache here and give it a flash. I've heard good things about this kernel so wanted to give it a go.

Cheers!

P.S. Now I must learn to run a rom and kernel for more than 24 to 48 hours lol! :p

i know the feeling. in the past week i have run the stock Codename kernel, LK 1.7.1, 1.7.3, 1.7.4, 1.8.0, and now Trinity. of course, this is why exactly i bought a nexus in the first place. i haven't crack-flashed like this since my OG droid days. :D

Upvote 0
i know the feeling. in the past week i have run the stock Codename kernel, LK 1.7.1, 1.7.3, 1.7.4, 1.8.0, and now Trinity. of course, this is why exactly i bought a nexus in the first place. i haven't crack-flashed like this since my OG droid days. :D

I hear you man! I can't help myself ha!

But agree, this is why I bought a nexus in the first place!

Thanks again man. :D

Upvote 0
FYI I ditched Trinity. Terrible battery life for me with on screen time. Back to Franco for me again.

THIS!! I can't find a decent "screen on" kernel to save my life. After testing numerous kernels I'm starting to believe that there isn't one and never will be. This screen destroys battery, end of story :(

Also, if I see someone else post a screen shot of their "awesome" battery life where the top process running is phone idle I'm going to vomit. We ALL know that when you keep your phone sitting on a table and use it lightly it will last for hours upon hours, maybe even days. Show me a screen shot of 5 hour screen on time and 15+ hours up and I'll be impressed! </end rant>

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
THIS!! I can't find a decent "screen on" kernel to save my life. After testing numerous kernels I'm starting to believe that there isn't one and never will be. This screen destroys battery, end of story :(

Also, if I see someone else post a screen shot of their "awesome" battery life where the top process running is phone idle I'm going to vomit. We ALL know that when you keep your phone sitting on a table and use it lightly it will last for hours upon hours, maybe even days. Show me a screen shot of 5 hour screen on time and 15+ hours up and I'll be impressed! </end rant>

also this. trinity is great for screen off, but it drains like crazy with it on. LK seems to do the best with up-time, but it's drain while sleeping is the highest of any kernel i have used so far. this includes the stock codename kernel, franco, and trinity. if someone could pull the sleep settings from trinity or codename, along with the in-use settings for LK or franco, then we would really have something. :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree with the both of you, its quite crazy.

The best I've had so far was this past weekend with Franco's kernel. I forgot which version it was since he updates very often!

But, I had 4 hours 24mins of on screen time and the phone died at about 12.5 hours! Guess that is not too shabby. I was doing a lot of texting, gmail, web browsing, twitter, and google music. That is the best I've had to date.

But I change roms and kernels so much, its hard for me to provide a baseline of stats for you. Im back on CNA right now (and probably going to stay here for awhile) with Franco's kernel. Let's see how we roll over the next few days.

Upvote 0
results, as promised. apologies in advance to Worm for phone idle being so high on the list. :p

settings were 4G only (no wi-fi), screen at 25% brightness with an on-time of 2 hours 17 minutes, running at 1350max/350min on the interactive governor, used mainly for web browsing, texts, e-mail, and twitter.

Screenshot_2012-02-01-19-23-23.png

Screenshot_2012-02-01-19-23-31.png

as you can see, sleep drain is minimal, but in-use drain is ridiculous. this post, from the Franco thread, could explain why.

Most GPU workloads on 4460 with a 720p screen are limited by the
memory bandwidth, not the GPU computation ability (which is fairly
linear with clock speed). With the GPU at 307 MHz, the core is at
OPP100, the and the memory bus is at full speed. At 384 MHz, the core
is at OPP_100_OV, which raises the core voltage (not counting
SmartReflex) from 1.127V to 1.25V, causing a huge increase in power
usage. Without the GPU, the core is almost always running at OPP100
when under load, because CPU OPP100 (700 MHz) requires core OPP100.
That means scaling the GPU from 150MHz to 307MHz costs very little in
terms of power. Nothing else in the chip requires core OPP100_OV, so
scaling the GPU to 384MHz is a pure power hit for very little (or no)
performance gain.

looks like i am going back to LK for now.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
results, as promised. apologies in advance to Worm for phone idle being so high on the list. :p

settings were 4G only (no wi-fi), screen at 25% brightness with an on-time of 2 hours 17 minutes, running at 1350max/350min on the interactive governor, used mainly for web browsing, texts, e-mail, and twitter.

Screenshot_2012-02-01-19-23-23.png

Screenshot_2012-02-01-19-23-31.png

as you can see, sleep drain is minimal, but in-use drain is ridiculous. this post, from the Franco thread, could explain why.

looks like i am going back to LK for now.

Man it looks like something kept your phone awake for a long time in the middle when your screen was off. I hate when I see that! I try others advice of opening gtalk and camera and then closing them but it doesn't always seem to work but maybe I just forget? Either way, I wish there was a fix coming for the high awake times with screen off

Upvote 0

Also, if I see someone else post a screen shot of their "awesome" battery life where the top process running is phone idle I'm going to vomit. We ALL know that when you keep your phone sitting on a table and use it lightly it will last for hours upon hours, maybe even days. Show me a screen shot of 5 hour screen on time and 15+ hours up and I'll be impressed!

addbb982-e2f3-7df7.jpg

addbb982-e3a6-1989.jpg

Not exactly what you were looking for, but as close as you're going to get (I've run every kernel out there) and it's on Trinity 512rd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones