• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [KERNEL][4.0.4] Franco M4 & Nightlies (6/5)

Is this better them what you get with lean kernal?

It is an interesting thing. On imoseyons 1.6.6 exp4 it is about equal battery life to franco13.1 while on 4G only.

On WIFI, franco 13.1 owned everything I've tried to this date. I've never in the last month been able to get close to 3hrs "screen on" time whether on 4G or WIFI. I got 4 in the WIFI test above.

The battery drain while "screen on" is considerably more efficient on franco 13.1. Sleep/idle states between the 2 kernels is comparable.

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
Gonna flash this now. Got some prep work to do first with Jakes script. Do you use setcpu on this?

Yes I use setCPU to set the min frequency to 350MHz and set on boot so it sticks. 13.1 comes stock with min freq set to 700MHz. That is the ONLY thing I adjust.

To make sure you don't get any abnormal results, be sure you flash fauxs reset kernel first to set ramdisk back to stock. Also reset all your setCPU data (any voltage tweaks you've made and any set on boot tweaks you have made). In other words start from scratch so you don't get anything "left over" from your previous settings. Then flash 13.1

I like to clear data in setCPU then uninstall it, the re-install once new kernel is flashed, but that's just me. I don't believe it should be required.

Upvote 0
Looking pretty good so far. I signed out of gtalk and things improved dramatically.

Yeah I'll be curious what you think after some time with it keep me updated. I think the kernel is excellent and have really hammered it today. I'm almost at 3 days on it, it's one of the best overall kernels I've used on the GN.

Planning my next test kernel to be GLaDOS this week. It really looks interesting and I've heard good stuff about the new Wheatley governor.

I've never signed out of gtalk with any kernel. Could it really get better if I try that? Are you saying that is part of the AndroidOS keep awake dealio? I'll try it :p

Upvote 0
Adrynalyne was talking about it today on irc. He believes gtalk and google+ are issues with wake lock, but not the only issues. He doesn't believe it's kernel related either. Someone with a new nexus tried it and his battery drain stopped, so I did it as well. A little too early to tell for sure but it does look like the rapid loss has subsided. I'd be curious to know if it helps you at all.

I'll keep you posted on the kernel too. I am liking it a lot so far, no issues whatsoever and pretty snappy.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Weird thing happened with this kernel last night. Everything during the day was running swimmingly and then I plugged it in at night. I started listening to some music and the phone started getting warm. Figured ah no big deal, checked temp in was around 92. Screen off still listening.. getting warmer.. 95, then 98 then 102 and finally 105. Turned off the music.. same thing. Flashed back to Imo and it immediately cooled down.

Is this an issue with this kernel or was this an aberration. As it now stands I'm on stock kernel since flashing aokp 20 this morning but I'm a little gun shy about going back now. Any idea as to what happened?

Upvote 0
Weird thing happened with this kernel last night. Everything during the day was running swimmingly and then I plugged it in at night. I started listening to some music and the phone started getting warm. Figured ah no big deal, checked temp in was around 92. Screen off still listening.. getting warmer.. 95, then 98 then 102 and finally 105. Turned off the music.. same thing. Flashed back to Imo and it immediately cooled down.

Is this an issue with this kernel or was this an aberration. As it now stands I'm on stock kernel since flashing aokp 20 this morning but I'm a little gun shy about going back now. Any idea as to what happened?

No clue. I stream music via Google music all the time with it and never had it get warm. Matter of fact nav'd with it yesterday along with streaming music and it ran cooler than past kernels (that is when I really feel the heat). Not a nagging issue I haven't seen anyone with that same complaint. Each kernel though as you well know is different on each phone so....

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it bj, did you go into setCPU, manually move the slider for min freq to 700MHz then back to 350MHz and then check "set on boot"? I noticed since the kernel comes default min freq at 700MHz you have to do this in setCPU to get it to stick for future boots and just for future use. Maybe that is what happened?

You could easily check this....in setCPU go to INFO tab then go to "Time In State" to check it out

Upvote 0
I too have had issues with my phone getting warm to hot when using this kernel. In fact, on the latest version, it sent my phone into bootloops.

This is the second time I've tried this kernel and did all the normal stuff like wipe cache and dalivik cache etc.

That said, I will not use his kernel anymore and am sticking with Imo's where I have no issues. I saw another guy on Rootzwiki the other day saying the same thing happened to him with this kernel, weird. But all phones and chips are not identical.

Upvote 0
I too have had issues with my phone getting warm to hot when using this kernel. In fact, on the latest version, it sent my phone into bootloops.

This is the second time I've tried this kernel and did all the normal stuff like wipe cache and dalivik cache etc.

That said, I will not use his kernel anymore and am sticking with Imo's where I have no issues. I saw another guy on Rootzwiki the other day saying the same thing happened to him with this kernel, weird. But all phones and chips are not identical.

Totally understand. I've seen people say they get bootloops on kernel xxx it all just depends on your experience, your setup, and/or your flashing methods ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I had done that. Perhaps it was the charger? But no, as soon as I flashed back to Imo the phone cooled down. I'll have to reflash it now that I upgraded to 20. The kernel reset puts it back to stock, right? (just in case) Oh well, flashing now. And the thing is it was fine all day. I'm going to stream some music now too just to see. bbiab

Upvote 0
Yeah I had done that. Perhaps it was the charger? But no, as soon as I flashed back to Imo the phone cooled down. I'll have to reflash it now that I upgraded to 20. The kernel reset puts it back to stock, right? (just in case) Oh well, flashing now. And the thing is it was fine all day. I'm going to stream some music now too just to see. bbiab

Are you using a different charger? Perhaps.

Yeah the reset kernel puts back to stock.

gl! report back!

Upvote 0
Well happy to report none of those issues any longer, for now at least. Heavy use, music, at 92deg, just music at 86. Fully charged now going to test out the battery now that I have all that google stuff disabled. Only difference is that I'm on a USB charge now and not the wall charger. I'll bring that down and try that out later, but I don't suspect that should make a difference since it's the same one I've been using since I bought the phone.

Oh heck, I'll get it now and do the same test.
Edit: It looks fine. Holding at 88 deg. Glad it was a false alarm. Thanks jbdan.

Upvote 0
I saw that on the kernel updater this morning and flashed immediately. It's looking pretty sweet right about now. I went with the 700/1200 defaults, conserv gov. But I cheat and OC to 1350 when plugged in only. Noticeable difference when browsing forums but prob not worth it on batt.

So, I'm curious here and am testing some things out, what are all your settings (his app, hotplugging, frequencies, gov, etc..) atm on 14.2? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
14.3 is out.

Interesting. Something is up, not in a bad way, but for the version to go from 14, 14.1, 14.2, now 14.3 in 3 days....

13.1 has the best 'screen on' battery drain I've ever seen from any kernel and the 'screen off' drain is also excellent.

I only got to test 14.1 for 24+ hrs and while it is definitely snappier than 13.1 and the 'screen off drain' equal to 13.1, the 'screen on' drain is not as efficient.

Have you tried 14.3 yet? The base is updated to 3.0.18 wonder what new features it includes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones