1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Lag and kernel settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by clemson77on, Dec 28, 2012.

1. clemson77on

clemson77on Member

I'm having some lag show up lately. My phone just seems to freeze up sometimes and the soft keys kinda just highlight but don't do anything. This may last for 10-15 seconds before function comes back. Other lag comes in as I'm connecting or disconnecting from bluetooth. I have major lag going into the gallery. I've tried deleting some pics, but that showed zero improvement. I'm trying the Quickpics app and it seems much faster but I'd rather work with the stock gallery. I'm using the latest JB Sourcery rom which is awesome btw, and used their new kernel for a while. I then switched over to the newest lean kernel.

This lag has been going on for a while. I'd be interested to know what kernel settings people are using. I'm on interactive with my frequencies at 350000 min, 1350000 max, and 700000 max screen off. I haven't touched the MPU voltages.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Android Expert

how often do you reboot?

3. clemson77on

clemson77on Member

At least once a week. I also use the cache cleaner in Sourcery tools often.

4. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Android Expert

I reboot daily... and I dont have lag...
    See this post in a lot of different rom threads....BEtting those who have no lag all reb0ot more often than those who dont

5. clemson77on

clemson77on Member

Okay thanks. I just set up Tasker to reboot nightly. I'll see if it makes a difference. One other thing, does changing fonts, soft keys, and things like that have a noticeable affect on speed?

6. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Android Expert

No, they wouldn't have any effect

7. iwoloschin

iwoloschin Well-Known Member

Other than empirical evidence, any thoughts on why rebooting might limit the amount of lag seen? There's the obvious questions on memory management, but in theory, garbage collection should take care of that (...right?).

I've noticed a lot of lag on my Galaxy Nexus, and it's incredibly annoying. I have not tried rebooting once a day though, so I'll give it a shot for a week and see if I notice a difference. Even if I do, I'd still love to know what is actually different.

8. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Android Expert

It would clear out ram, remove any fragments of running apps.... Gives the phone a chance to reset itself....

9. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

reminds me of the Crackberry days " hey have you done a battery pull today?"

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews