• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Leaked Verizon JB ROM

Musky;

I'm going to write out what I did; using pieces from XDA. A lot of the pages I would link to you are fairly confusing and bloated. This will pretty much tell you what to do from start to finish; if you have questions, let me know.

Downloads - You need to download these files to your computer.

Root File (download "Root Debug FS.7z") - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aksh2bikfsne43/wmpWRj7Und

Clean ROM 4.5 for Galaxy S3 - http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=284&act=down&actionhash=guest

Pre-Requisite

Backup all your files on your phone--everything--we are going to purge your phone!

Also, you NEED TO COPY the Clean ROM 4.5 zip file to your phone. Do not extract the .ZIP file; copy the whole ~800mb file to your phone's internal memory.

Step 1 - Root Your Phone

1. Download 7zip file; extract the "Root Debug FS.7z" to your desktop.
  2. Plug in your Galaxy S3 to your computer.
  3. Run the "RootDebugfs.bat" located where you extracted the above zip file.

The batch file is going to ask you a series of questions; just press "Y" for Yes. The phone will reboot numerous times--the bat file will tell you when the last reboot occurs.

Step 2 - Unlock the Bootloader

1. Open Google Play Store and download "VZW GS3 EZ-Unlock (Bootloader)"
  2. Open the application once it installs; click the "Unlock" button

Your bootloader is now unlocked and we can flash the TWRP Recovery console to your phone.

Step 3 - Install GooManager and TWRP Recovery

1. Open Google Play Store and download "GooManager"
  2. Open the application once it installs.
  3. Grant Superuser when it asks.
  4. Click your menu button on your phone (button left of the home button).
  5. Click "Install OpenRecoveryScript"
  6. You will be prompted to click Yes, then a page will show up with a countdown. Keep the phone awake and watch it--it will go through the install and then tell you it's complete.

TWRP is now installed. You can verify this by clicking the "Reboot Recovery" line in GooManager. Your phone should reboot and show TWRP.

attachment.php

Step 4 - Factory Reset and Install CleanROM 4.5

Now that TWRP is showing; we will go through the menu items.

Factory Wipe Phone -- this is important to ensure no issues

1. Click on "Wipe".
  2. Click on "Factory Reset".
  3. Swipe to Wipe (indicated on bottom of screen).
  4. Once complete; you want to hit the back button and get to the main menu.
Install CleanROM 4.5

1. Click on "Install".
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the list.
  3. Select "CleanROM 4.5.zip"
  4. Swipe to Install (indicated on bottom of screen).

You are now installing CleanROM 4.5; it will launch the Aroma installer which allows you to select what components you want in the CleanROM. This helps you pick and chose what you want, removes unnecessary bloatware from the phone.

Good luck -- this is exactly how I did my installation of CleanROM 4.5

If you have questions or run into issues; feel free to ask.

Note: I take no responsibility if you screw up your phone. These instructions are provided as-is.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
Thanks much Mr. Geek! :)

I have added your post as a favorites and will print it out when I get home. I'm not sure exactly when I will be able to try it, but I am much more comfortable now having your step by step instructions available!

Is the data on my "Internal SD card" safe enough when I wipe the phone?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks much Mr. Geek! :)

I have added your post as a favorites and will print it out when I get home. I'm not sure exactly when I will be able to try it, but I am much more comfortable now having your step by step instructions available!

Is the data on my "Internal SD card" safe enough when I wipe the phone?

Thanks again!

Anything you add to the root will be--I recommend backing up any other files; pictures, music, ringtones, etc. The factory wipe will pretty much clear all System folders and it's best to ensure you have everything else.

I always backup all my data before I do any ROM flash just in case.

Once you copy over the CleanROM file; and do a factory wipe; it will still be there.

Upvote 0
I strongly recommend trying CleanROM 4.5 Jelly Bean.

Yeah, I was just browsing the thread at xda. Might have to try it out this weekend. I've also a a couple of soft/warm boots on the stock JB leak the last couple of days. Don't like that. The only reason I tried the stock ROM was because it had a "no wipe" install. Didn't want to spend the time getting my phone "like I like it" again. Looks like I will this weekend.

Upvote 0
Mr. Geek...question time. Looking at the XDA post, it does not say anything about downloading the Root File (download "Root Debug FS.7z")

Why do you suggest installing/downloading it?...as well as, what is it?

Nor does he mention the "goomanager...

Thanks

That's because he doesn't expect to have to inform people how to install CustomROMS. My instructions are for individuals who have no idea what they're doing or how to do it.

Root Debug is required in order to unlock your bootloader--the file enables ROOT on your S3. Without it, no CustomROMS can ever be installed. In addition, without root, Ez-Unlock will not work, thus no unlocked bootloader.

GooManager is required to install the TWRP console in order to flash the rom. Without it, you're only other option is the CWM console. In my opinion, for someone with very minimal technical expertise; TWRP is the most user friendly recovery console.

Upvote 0
Thanks...I was not questioning you, I just had not used the "Root Debug" when I rooted and installed ROM's before. I have used EZ -Recovery and EZ-Unlock.

So are you saying I can't use EZ-Unlock anymore without the root debug file?

Thanks

Nope--can't unlock the bootloader without the phone being rooted.

EZ-Unlock requires SU permission; and without your phone rooted, that's not possible.

Upvote 0
I think I have it now...Currently I am running the Synergy ROM. I already have the EZ-Unlock and EZ-Recovery installed so no need to run the debug file (I dont think so anyways)....but your instructions are clearer than his....thanks

Ah, hell, if you got Synergy than you're already rooted and bootloader unlocked.

Just factory wipe your phone and flash CleanROM.

My instructions were for folks who have never done any of it.

Upvote 0
Well I took the plunge and installed the *2nd* leaked version of JellyBean from Verizon. I must say the process was painless and everything from the good battery life I was having to stability is there. Granted it has only been a day but if you want stock, rooted JellyBean experience, this one has been great for me so far. Rooted, de-odexed and ready to go! Will report again after a few days.

Stock Rooted De-Odexed - VRBLJ1 - JB LEAK #2 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS

Upvote 0
can someone explain to me what they had to do to get around the EZ-Unlock app problem. I try to choose unlock, but it stops working every time. I've uninstalled and installed every version of the app, but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated so I can root this baby.

I think it has to do with giving it SU permission? If so, how do I do that?

Upvote 0
ok so I've unlocked the bootloader and went to GooManager, but it never asked to grant SuperUser (not sure if this matters or not). I went ahead and installed the OpenRecoveryScript and got my TWRP installed, but I can't Reboot Recovery. It says "attempting to reboot recovery, but if it doesn't work I may need to do it manually". Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Well I tried CleanROM 4.5, but it was more jittery that stock leak with Apex launcher. I went back to the stock leak and have had no more reboots. I think it was because I had to do a factory reset when I went to CleanROM so stock's running better. I just upgraded to the leaked stock VRBLK1 this morning. No problems, but battery live on JB seems slightly less that on ICS. I've turned off Google Now cause many say it's a drain. Wait and see.

Upvote 0
I installed the deodexed leaked official ROM a couple weeks ago and have noticed that I no longer have the voice command for apps option. Is this true for everyone that's using this or is it just me? I only used the camera option, to help with minimizing image shake when taking pictures (or for taking pictures at awkward angles when I can't see the shutter button).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones