• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon LG G2 using data while roaming, even though roaming data is turned off.

epct414

Nov 16, 2010
So I found a huge problem with the Verizon LG G2 when I went to Mexico for a while, yesterday. It seems the phone is using data while roaming, even though I have it set not to (I double-checked).

I was surprised to have such a good connection while I was there. Thing about this is that I go to TJ where it's so close to the US that sometimes phones pick up USA towers.

So I thought wow this phone has good radios or something, the internet is not dropping at all. Thing was, it was using Mexican towers for data, when the settings shouldn't allow it to.

Now I am stuck with over $300 in fees for trusting the phone was only going to use USA data, like it should.

So I guess I am wondering if any of you guys have experienced something like this. I assume it would be the same deal if you travel to any other place. Let me know!

No... the whole system was getting data. That is the thing. I don't want to take extra precautions. A phone's setting should work as advertised and it always did with other phones.

If this is something that is only my phone's problem I will replace it for another G2. If it's a problem all Verizon G2 phones have I will have to replace it for another phone.

I go to Mexico at least once a week, so this is an important deal for me.

Upvote 0
First, a couple disclaimers: I don't have the Verizon version of the G2, and I have not roamed since I got my G2.

I am thinking that turning off data use while roaming might be a two step process (at least for the first time before doing what I describe below). The reason is, I noticed that in my E-Mail settings (E-Mail, Settings, General Settings), Roaming was enabled. That is, "Auto-retrieve while roaming. Data fee will be charged." was checked. AND, the option to remove the checkmark was greyed out. This suggests to me that even though I have turned roaming off (in Settings, Networks, Tethering & networks, Mobile networks), that emails will still be sync'd and retrieved.

By temporarily turning Roaming ON (checking it) in Settings, and THEN going to E-Mail's settings (both described above), I was then able to uncheck the Auto-retrieve while roaming box. Then I returned to Settings and unchecked Roaming (turning Roaming off) again.

Again, I am not sure if this would work to prevent data usage while roaming, and I am not sure if the navigation path to both these settings is the same on all variants of the G2 but it's worth a shot on the OP's next trip to see if that prevents data usage while roaming.

Seems odd to have a two step process like that; on my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S3), when I was about to roam, I turned of Roaming and that was that.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones