1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon Location Agent after OTA update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AeroEngi, Dec 22, 2011.

1. AeroEngi

AeroEngi Member

So I noticed something today after I downloaded and installed the OTA update. Verizon Location Agent is constantly running and eating up my battery. My phone is awake all the time. I went in a couple of times and manually forced the app to close but it just comes on again after a few minutes. I knew something like this was gonna happen. I had a perfectly working phone until this update. Are any of you guys having this problem? If so, how do we fix this?

I've also been losing haptic feedback sporadically. Anyone else?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dragonbro

dragonbro Android Enthusiast

Funny....I've never seen the "location agent" before? Seems they left that off the list of "fixes" in the update?

I went into Settings > Location & Security > unchecked VZW location services. I will see if that makes a difference. The usage report said it has kept my phone awake for 53 minutes....Thanks a lot :(

indycross likes this.
  3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Ditto on the VLA issue. To fix it, I did the following:
    1) Go to the market and search for the app. Select "Update"
    2) Go to app and let screen load. Hit "Close" followed by Menu/Register.
    3) I chose to decline the services it offered.
    4) Go back to the market, leave 1 star rating and reason (I said it fails to sleep IIRC) and uninstall the update.
    5) Reboot

Seems to have resolved the issue for me *fingers crossed*

Can't help you with the haptic feedback as I always keep mine turned off.

FragDroidX and AeroEngi like this.
  4. AeroEngi

AeroEngi Member

Thanks for the advice man. I just did what you said and I hope it works cuz my phone was absolutely perfect until this update :(

5. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

You're missing a step.

Did you select yes to agree to the location services, and then click close?

Thanks!

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

I know that I declined the service. IIRC though, it closed on it's own after that.

7. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

Ditto.

After a reboot, I got a popup asking for consent just now lmao.

Wonder if we can safely freeze or delete this bloat?

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Did you register it first? I kept getting the pop-up until I registered. After that I haven't gotten it since and it's not showing up on my battery usage.

Edit: FML... I just checked and it's back and not sleeping.

9. AeroEngi

AeroEngi Member

Not sure if my phone isn't sleeping yet but when I go to check what apps are running, Verizon Location Agent is always there. I'm so pissed off right now.

Edit: Just checked it and it is still running and keeping my phone awake! Man this sucks! I didn't wanna root my phone but I'm definitely going to now.

10. seVer

seVer Android Expert

or you could always go to task manager, add it to auto-end list... which will stop the application 2 minutes after your phone goes into standby. that's what I did.

11. EKG

EKG Android Enthusiast

I am looking at my battery information in the settings in my phone, and I don't see Verizon Location Agent at all. My phone information is looking like...

Voice Calls - 45%
    Android OS - 23%
    Display - 16%
    Gameboid - 5%
    Phone Idle - 5%
    Cell Standby - 4%
    rild - 2%

12. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

I'm in the other boat. I'm willing and ready to root my phone but won't do it until an SBF/FXV/whatever-it's-called-now is released or leaked.

I've tried Force Stopping it but it launches on it's own again. Are you finding that it keeps starting on it's own or ...???

13. pm1066

pm1066 Android Enthusiast

Does G Maps still work? I initially froze it, and maps wouldn't get location.

14. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Mine's working without having it frozen.

ON a side note, I noticed I don't have the Android OS bug anymore. Can someone who hasn't installed the update check the market and see if Verizon Location Agent is installed on their phone.

15. pm1066

VLA is new with the OTA, OTAY?

16. AeroEngi

AeroEngi Member

I'm still having issues with this thing. I decided to root my phone and in the process I found out that my phone isn't being recognized by my computer. This was also perfectly fine before the update and all of a sudden, my computer won't recognize the phone. Now I can't even root!

17. chris4x4

chris4x4 Android Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with a Tier 2 tech support guy from Verizon, and he said the VLA is only to make sure the phone is using the best tower to get best signal. Although it may be "running" it doesnt seem to impact battery life too much, from what I can tell. Its not listed in the Battery Use section. I have it set to de activate in Task Manager. It seems to start back up when I take a call, or check Email.

18. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

I am not having this problem and have not froze the app.

Why is it impacting some folks but not others?

Update seems to be behaving.

19. dragonbro

dragonbro Android Enthusiast

It has not popped back up after I shut off Verizon location service. Battery has been off charger for 6 hours and it doesn't show the VLA

20. pm1066

Man, what you got going on is way beyond the OTA!

21. nfotiu

nfotiu Member

It has been running since my update. My phone didn't sleep last night, but has been sleeping properly today, even though it is running.

22. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Android OS bug is back today but VLA is nowhere to be found.

23. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

This is weird.

I ended up uninstalling the updates, and freezing it, yet I can get a signal still.

Why are some having issues and others not?

24. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

That is what my buddy just told me. Though he froze his and could not get a signal. Mine is now frozen (but not updated) yet I can still get a signal?

/me is confused.

I may unfreeze it, update it, say yes and see how it goes. Maybe it will improve my reception but I dunno. :rolleyes:

25. pm1066

Anyone suspect this is VZW's version of that cell phone tracking software?

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews