• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Lost Google Framework, need help reinstalling!

bluroot

Mar 13, 2013
How do you install apps from your PC? I just looked at a site which presumes you have an Android file browser such as Astro installed (and that will install what's on your PC), but after a data wipe I can't even restore my backups, much less Astro!

I had a bad rooting experience, and so far I feel the community has mostly shunned me as an idiot for it. I cannot sync my contacts, they are stuck on the cloud somewhere, and the sense of isolation is frightening - can't a guy get a break just once? I was quite tired after late nights doing what I could think of to save data, but I forgot the Nandroid backup, and now I've lost the google framework. After the data wipe, it was gone from my phone, as well as several apps, including Play! I have no idea what I can do about this now and succeed. I found after many google search hours a GoogleServicesFramework.apk, hosted on Androidmarketu, but I cannot install it with the methods I know. Can fastboot do it, and if so, what commands to use? I already tried ClockworkMod, but it didn't recognize the apk - does this only deal with roms? Someone in another post told me to see if (holy crap, if???) I can pull the framework app out of an old rom (never would have been here if I knew Google took this critical OS component out of it's new roms), and I did check out the rom for ICS. It has a 729KB folder named "framework", contains two files named "send bug", which causes me doubt that these are app files. I'm just about at my wits end now, so please help me out with this if you can!

Sorry you feel that way. I think all you need to do is install the proper gapps package for the ROM you have installed on your phone, as that is the exact symptoms you have posted. The advice you got in the other thread apparently might have missed this fact.

Please tell us which ROM and/or android version you have on your phone now and we can help point you to the proper gapps package.

good luck

Upvote 0
Sorry you feel that way. I think all you need to do is install the proper gapps package for the ROM you have installed on your phone, as that is the exact symptoms you have posted. The advice you got in the other thread apparently might have missed this fact.

Please tell us which ROM and/or android version you have on your phone now and we can help point you to the proper gapps package.

good luck

Thanks for replying, it's getting lonely where I'm stuck now!

I did rattle my head a little more, and then I thought to go back to the adb install command. I ran that on GoogleServicesFramework.apk - it failed with a complaint that there were no certificates!

I have downloaded the KDH_NXT-GEN_GAPPS_4.2_FULL zip file, but I had some doubts as to how I would install it. When I rooted my HTC phones, the method prescribed was to put an image file or a zip file on the phone root (don't unpack), and then let fastboot take care of it when booting into that. The tutorials which I've browsed concerning how to put anything on the GNex say that all of the files in the downloaded package must be transfered to "one folder, no subfolders". Seeing how many subfolders this package has got me into a bit of a sweat, and at least one tutorial specifically addressed them as "image files", but I didn't see any ISOs (I guess the installables are apks anyway)? So anyway, is this a good file, and what must be done to get everything which it has installed?

Upvote 0
The quick answer for now is that you're over thinking it. The file you mentioned doesn't look right. More in the morning

Well, I'm becoming worried that I may never find the right file. Can you, or somebody point me to a reputable source? Also, is the right file installable as is, or should I look for the apks and address them separately with adb? Thanks.

Upvote 0
As messed up as your situation seems to be, I would recommend fastboot flashing all the partitions to return to stock at which point you can re-root if so desired.

Instructions:
http://androidforums.com/3736597-post7.html

The instructions list the exact command lists for 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 but since 4.1.1 is out now and is what you'll end up getting when you travel to the factory images link, you will use these commands to reflect the new filenames:

fastboot flash bootloader-toro-primelc03.img
fastboot flash radio-toro-i515.fg02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma-toro-i515-ff02.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-jro03o.zip

Also, just to verify, the above is assuming you are using an LTE Galaxy Nexus (Verizon). Just making sure you didn't post here accidentally and own an international Gnex.

Upvote 0
As messed up as your situation seems to be, I would recommend fastboot flashing all the partitions to return to stock at which point you can re-root if so desired.

Instructions:
http://androidforums.com/3736597-post7.html

The instructions list the exact command lists for 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 but since 4.1.1 is out now and is what you'll end up getting when you travel to the factory images link, you will use these commands to reflect the new filenames:

fastboot flash bootloader-toro-primelc03.img
fastboot flash radio-toro-i515.fg02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma-toro-i515-ff02.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-jro03o.zip

Also, just to verify, the above is assuming you are using an LTE Galaxy Nexus (Verizon). Just making sure you didn't post here accidentally and own an international Gnex.

No, I'm not that dull! Anyway, thanks!

Upvote 0
bluroot, I totally agree with iowabowtech at this point. And I will also stress the point that we are assuming you have the Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus.

Everything else you were mentioning doing was way overthinking it.

good luck

I don't see how I did that, with others telling me I should extract framework from an old rom, or just install the right gapp file - the questions I had were of getting a good file for one or the other, and installation procedures. Was that idea (either idea) known to succeed? Anyway, thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones