1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon LTE dropping to 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brandonhutch, Jan 5, 2014.

1. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

So I've had my Moto X since launch day and I really love it!

However ...

For the last week or so, my 4G LTE has been reverting to 3G quite a bit - in places where I know for fact that LTE should be up and running with a good connection. I started noticing it a week or so ago.

Going in and out of airplane mode does not fix it. The only way I've found so far is to power off the phone, wait a minute, then power it back on - voila, back to LTE.

Anyone else experiencing this on Verizon? What are the chances that my radios have gone bad? Does that even happen?

2. I encountered this identical issue ... once ... with my Droid Maxx. This was just before Christmas. It was the day of the reported Verizon LTE outage. It recovered LTED after the re-boot and stayed.

Are other people in your area who use Verizon reporting the same thing? (I have never been successful in getting the answer to local network questions from Verizon or Verizon retailers ... like ... "is the network being worked on?" Sometimes they do know. You could ask.).

... Thom

3. trharris78

trharris78 Newbie

I had this problem on my Moto X a couple days ago. Same as you, nothing seemed to fix it except for a power cycle. Only happened once so far, though.

I'm just north of Denver, CO, so probably not in your neck of the woods.

4. brandonhutch

I have only asked my brother, who has a Samsung S4 and he hasn't noticed anything. That makes me even more suspicious that something is amiss seeing as how ( IMHO ) the Samsung radios are inferior to Motorolas. I'll keep an eye out and pay closer attention to how often and at what locations it's happening.

5. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

I'm pretty sure that's everyone's opinion thats tried both :p I get 4g now 50 miles from where I used to shut it off completely. Mine was acting weird a few days ago, they may be working on your towers.

6. tomato88

tomato88 Android Enthusiast

Does it happen only when you use a high-bandwidth service, like Netflix or YouTube?

7. brandonhutch

Nah, it was just happening at random. I haven't had it happen in a few days so maybe Gandalf was right. I'm gonna keep monitoring it but for now it's working correctly.

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews