1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon LTE... is this for real?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VTjlee, Dec 22, 2011.

1. VTjlee

VTjlee Newbie

I was walking to my car from my friend's apartment and noticed that I had 4 bars of 4G service for the 1st time since I've had my GNex (had it since yesterday... was using DInc previously). I ran a speed test and was completely floored by the results. This is easily twice any of my previous test. Needless to say, this is ridiculous!

Attached Files:

jbdan likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

It's a beautiful thing isn't it :)

foo likes this.
  3. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

Yes. Time of day (network congestion), signal strength, and server side speed are all factors in data speed. I've hit those speeds, but only when I have 4 bars 4G and it's late at night... It's nice, eh?

4. VTjlee

VTjlee Newbie

Nice doesn't begin to describe it... I'm stunned! :eek:

5. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

Why so slow? :D

I'm at routinely 30+ on 2 bars of service. Been in the 40's a few times.

6. Theshape

Theshape Well-Known Member

That's normal for OC SoCal

Sandroidfan likes this.
  7. whezzel

whezzel Lurker

ya. its awesome. ive hit in the 50s one time around midnight with 4 bars in houston. im average in the high 30s low 40s tho

8. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast

Im in Houston too and I regularly hit 45-50

Sandroidfan and jimmypop13 like this.
  9. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

OK, I can understand good speeds for some. However, I rarely get over 3Mbps. Therefore, there is either a 4G LTE issue or there are QC issues with some phones.

kklier likes this.
  10. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

Woah. Yeah, I would say it has to be one of the 2. The worst I've seen is 8 Mbps with 1 bar. So either LTE issue with **some** markets, or QC with the phone. I agree.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  11. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast

I think it does differ in different markets. I always try out the LTE speeds of places I'm visiting when I travel and I've noticed that I never get speeds as high as I do when I'm in Houston. Ex: San Francisco I get ≈8-15 instead of ≈45-50

12. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

I can understand that. However, 3Mbps is not 4G LTE speeds. I can get that across all Wifi connections for free. It makes paying for data useless. I am rarely out of a wifi hotspot.

13. JoJoCal19

JoJoCal19 Member

Last night I did a speed test with my phone at -120dbm and fluctuating between 1 and 0 bars of 4G and hit 12Mbps down. Not bad at all.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  14. Justincase

Justincase Newbie

Here is my record from last night, unfortunately at work and at home I hardly get 3g even though it should have 4g coverage :(

[​IMG]

15. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast

...and I thought I was happy with 15 down, which barely edges out my home Wifi. But I am somewhat on the outskirts of the Charlotte 4G market. Close to 50?? That's insane.

I think at that point you're probably more limited by the source server of whatever it is you're downloading.

16. Delvirtud

Delvirtud Member

Why so slow? :D

I typically stay in the high 40's/low 50's down...20-25 up.

As someone stated, it IS a beautiful thing!

17. aneftp

aneftp Member

You guys/gals are lucky.

Had the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon for one week now. Not that impressed with LTE (so far). (in Orlando)

I also have ATT and Tmobile (HSPA plus).

I routinely hit 5-6 mbps on my ATT phones (doesn't matter which part of the day), and routinely hit 7-10 mbps on my T-mobile phones.

With the Galaxy Nexus LTE, the highest I've been able to hit was 11 mbps with 4 bars of LTE in downtown Orlando in the middle of rush hour. I only hit 7-8 mbps during off peak times. It's weird. I get faster speed in massive congestion but slower LTE speeds in light usage time.

So I don't know what's up with LTE speeds in Orlando. HSPA plus is great in Orlando.

But most of the time I switch to CDMA 3G (1-2 mbps) on my LTE Nexus. Hopefully Verizon improves its LTE coverage in the suburbs for me.

Not that impress with Verzon's Galaxy Nexus reception but I love the phone....the service with the phone is shaky right now.

18. serp

serp Newbie

I get about 17mbs up/down at work and about 15mbs down/1-3mbs up at home (outside of town on the edge of 4g coverage). I'm pretty happy with it.

19. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert

I live in Downtown Denver during 8-5 hrs M-F I'll see between 5-15mbps down if I get on after that I see much much higher as high as 48mbps but usually in the upper 20's

While my awesome WiMaxx EVO struggles to connect and when it does struggles to top 6mbps down

20. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Like all current 4G device users, the speed the battery drains using 4G much should stun you even more ;)

4G and battery drain are an equal opportunity bummer for all current 4G devices.

For data capped folks, the speed the 2gb or even 4gb is gone should be a double $tunner.

21. Mikey P

Mikey P Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am getting full bars now after the network outage yesterday but my speeds are the same. I used to get 15-20 down with my thunderbolt and razr and now I only get 5-8 with my nexus. However my upload speeds are faster on this phone than any other.

22. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

I ran a few speed tests this morning and, apparently, I'm in the same boat! :eek:

23. nunyabizness

nunyabizness Android Enthusiast

Ditto. :( I'm at 3.5 down and 1 up.

24. Theshape

Theshape Well-Known Member

I'm getting roughly around 12 hours on a single charge on the standard battery, 4G the whole time. That is easily 3-4 hours more than my old Bionic! Plus I keep and extra charged STD battery with me at all times especially at work. On top of that my grandfathered unlimited data plan is a no brainer.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  25. jetman

jetman Newbie

I'm in O-H-I-O too.... specifically the Columbus area. I'm seriously considering a Nexus but am holding off with the reception issues I'm hearing about. Where in Ohio are you located???

anyone else here in the Central Ohio vicinity with signal quality issues??

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews