• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon, LTE, Physical Keyboard

I have 3 simple requirements for my next phone.

Verizon
LTE
Physical Keyboard

It doesn't look like there will be any devices that meet me requirements as I learned today it doesn't look like the Droid3 will be LTE.

Is there any hope or am I going to have to throw in with the rest of the world and go soft?

The keyboard on the iOS makes my blood pressure rise everytime I have to type more than 4 words.

I spent some time on the Android keyboard and it wasn't much better but I like the idea of some of the alternative keyboard like SwiftKey, although it seems like it could really stunt your flow if you're working on a long message.

I still use a Blackberry because I write long emails on the road on that thing and it works outstanding as an email machine. However it is laughable at doing anything on the internet. I'd like to have an email machine (in my mind physical keyboard) + be able to do things on the internet in the same device.

I live in the DC area and I have great 4G coverage on my Samsung LTE MiFi.

So I guess worst case I use the D3 and hook it up to the MiFi when I actually need 4G.

But I'd like it better if the D3 were LTE or some other device that meeds my requirements.
It seems kind of silly Motorola wouldn't stick that LTE radio in there somehow, but I guess they need some reason for you to buy the Droid 4.

I started to hijack someone else's thread on my quest.
So sorry for starting a new thread, I don't know if thats frowned upon around these parts but usually thread hijacking is frowned upon everywhere else.

I have 3 simple requirements for my next phone.

Verizon
LTE
Physical Keyboard

It doesn't look like there will be any devices that meet me requirements as I learned today it doesn't look like the Droid3 will be LTE.

Is there any hope or am I going to have to throw in with the rest of the world and go soft?

I've had the original Droid since December 2009 and used to exclusively use the physical keyboard. Not so much for about the last six months.

I'm currently using Smart Keyboard Pro and find that I can type faster and more accurately with it than the physical one.

While I do like the idea of a physical keyboard on smarthphones, I don't believe they're as necessary on devices with larger screens. Also, I don't want my next phone to be a two piece device.

Upvote 0
easy answer? go to sprint. obviously thats not really a solution but I feel your pain. My hopes are riding on the D3 even without 4g.

the epic isn't even a "new" phone, and it still beats the crud out of just about everything on verizon.

Yes. I can't understand why Sprint is really the only carrier with a lot of physical keyboard options. People seem to like BlackBerrys for their keyboard and for BBM but most carriers push thin slates to get the iPhone people.

Upvote 0
I really like my Droid Pro. I know it's not LTE, but it is a fast phone even on 3G and I really don't see a need for anything quicker. The power was out at my work yesterday, so I spent half the day surfing the web on my phone. Even on picture heavy sites, my phone was faster than my work computer/internet (govt lol).

I had a Moto Q and two blackberries, so I love the physical keyboard idea. Switched over to the original Droid because Android looked way more promising than BBOS 6.0, plus BB was seriously slacking on releasing new phones. After a year, the Droid Pro came out and my prayers were answered. I don't need a huge screen or a giant phone for any reason, so I didn't care about the smaller screen (plus it saves battery and makes the phone faster not having to run a ginormous display). The keyboard is exactly like a BB Bold keyboard and it took me no time at all to get used to it. I'm hoping Moto comes out with a Pro 2 with a dual core processor and better res screen sometime soon. Not that there is a damn thing wrong with my phone now, I just love getting new electronics haha.

Upvote 0
this has been the most frustrating thing for me as a store manager for a vz retailer. Only 1 option for a physical keyboard android phone. Its not that I want one, but monstly its females with long nails that cannot use the capacitive touch screen. right now the d3 is the only option. Sounds like that is about to change, but we wil have to wait and see. The most frustrating part of it is the d3 has been on backorder since the first two weeks its been launched. So I can't even get it for anyone anyways.

Upvote 0
You can thank Samsung for hearing your prayers... Samsung Stratosphere for Verizon with LTE leaked:

I'm too new to post links, so Google it... I'm sure you'll like what you find.

Meh. Not a fan of sliders. Hated the physical keyboard on my Droid.

To clarify, I'd like the phone to be pretty much the same as it is now. Same keyboard, maybe slightly wider. Slightly bigger screen to fill up the bezel in the current phone, plus better resolution. Add a bit faster processor. 4G with maybe 480x800 resolution and you've got a perfect device.

Verizon is going to need something like this to battle the new BB Bold Touch. The OG droid pro didn't take off near as well as VZ thought, so why not increase all the specs and try again?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones