1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] M19 software question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oppiefive, Jan 28, 2014.

1. oppiefive

oppiefive Newbie
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Just recently recieved a rooted verizon note 3 with M19 software. Have not initialized phone yet. The person who rooted it for me recomended that i donot take the ota updates. Are there any advantages to the new ota updates? Should I remain on M19?.. Other than refusing ota updates, is there an easy way to prevent them?

Thanks
    Peter

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    There's nothing really wrong with MJ5. It depends on the carrier. AT&T and Verizon were already locked down tight at MI9, the others are still fairly open at MJ5. My wife's came with MI9. She let it update. Mine came with MJ5. About the only difference she noticed with the update was the color of the shift arrow in the Samsung keyboard. (Samsung doesn't release updates for unimportant things, you see.)

As far as the next update, to KitKat? I won't be accepting that until it's been out for at least 2 or 3 months, and I haven't heard of functions ruined of phones bricked. The S3 4.3 update is still too fresh in the minds of some of us.

I don't know if a rooted phone even WILL update if you accept it, but the easiest thing to do is wait for an update notification, then long-press the notification. You'll get an "App info" button. Press that and you'll be at the app that notified you of the update, Clear its cache, then clear its data. That should stop it for a while.

3. oppiefive

oppiefive Newbie
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks
    Peter

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Hi Peter and welcome to Android Forums!

The easiest way to refuse an OTA on a permanent basis is to root the phone and install a custom ROM. I don't know of any ROM that will accept a stock OTA: they all block them.

Besides, anything of benefit in an OTA is going to come with bad stuff too: root exploits closed, limited functionality and lots of bloatware. The developer will get hold of the new code, strip out the bad stuff, add more good stuff, and release it as better-than-stock.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sbreen, developer of Hyperdrive, does with KitKat. The new release should be coming out any time :D

Hope this helps and it's great to have you here!

5. oppiefive

oppiefive Newbie
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks for all of your guidance...so at this point, i guess it's best to stay on mi9...used TB to stop those annoying update messages!

6. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    Verizon never recieved a "MJ5" this must be ATT only.

Verizon SM-N900V has only recieved two updates, MJ7 and MJE both are still rootable

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.