1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Mac rooting guide help!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tonytownsend, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

I own no pc's being that I need them for my job and cannot find a guide to rooting on Mac can anyone point me in the direction of one??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

Honestly I've always used Mac's as well... but I have a Windows partition set up through boot camp in case in run into any issues like this...

There is a cross platform utility created by AdamOutler over on the xda forums...but I'm not sure its ready for prime time yet...

3. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Yeah he took it off line. In agent him a message about it we will see. Does anyone know if anyone is even working on breaking the bootloader?

4. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

Yeah...its still being worked on...but I'm not confident in anyway that it will happen...we have workarounds though that make it unnecessary to unlock the bootloader

5. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Even to load new kernels? I never had a phone that's been locked down like this. Is there history of other androids having locked down boot loaders like this and them being broken?

6. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

Yup...we can flash custom kernels just fine...it just has to be done in a different way than normal...

Actually the history suggest it won't be broken...every Motorola phone released on VZW since July 2010(Droid X) has been locked...and non of them have been broken...

However none of those phones ever got custom kernels either...

7. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

So what method allows for custom kernels there's 2 so far correct?

8. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

Its called kexec...basically what it all boils down to is that we write the kernel to the recovery partition of the phone...

Yes, there are two standalone kernel options...invisiblek's and imoseyon's...though technically(I believe) CM9 and CM10 have their own CM(AOSP) kernels...

There should be a new kernel soon that the SynergyROM guys are working on

9. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Imoseyons kernel is good used to use it on galaxy nexus

10. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Hopefully Franco makes one as well his rock!!!! So you just boot into recovery find the partition and run the zip folder and that's how you flash a new kernel?

11. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

HAHA that explains a few things.....:D

I'll never understand Mac users not having an old Windows PC or partition or emulator (WINE available?). (There's always "Why not a Mac version!?" complaints in every PC game development.)

Personally, I'd run linux if Windows wasn't mandatory for most of my programs.

Back on topic, sorta: I agree, I don't see anyone cracking the VZW bootloader walnut; the only potential chance I see is the FCC busting it if properly compelled by customer advocates/complaints.

12. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

bootcamp is an amazing thing...

13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

I guess I should build a hackintosh and put bootcamp on it. :D

14. Ricky Babalu

Ricky Babalu Well-Known Member

Just sent you an email. :D

15. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Dang wish I would have gotten this earlier installing xp thru boot camp now. Does this root tool root the kexec method????? So I can flash different kernels?

16. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

kexec has nothing to do with root...its the recovery you want to be kexec compatible...

install EZ Recovery from the play store...and then flash CWM 6.0.1.0

17. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

So I'm fine to use the Adams one touch root then download cwm and and flash it?

18. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

should work fine

19. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast

I cant seem to get CWM to flash with casual. Also how do I know if my unsecure aboot is flashed it didnt reset my phone or anything.

20. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

flash CWM from EZ Recovery

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews