• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Many random problem after rooting.

ut_icedragon

Oct 16, 2011
Rooted my S3 couple weeks ago using this method: [GUIDE] No-Wipe Jelly Bean Factory Images ***Final Update: 6/1/13*** - xda-developers

Things were great, I put Ti backup full version on and was able to permanently stop the 4.3 update and uninstall some verizon bloat (accessories, tones, navigator).

But now I have noticed some annoyiong problems.

1) when I plug the phone into my computer via USB, the phone repeatedly connects and disconnects in quick sucession, and the computer is unable to load the dtrivers or establish contact with the phone. Every time the USB notification comes up that say "connected as installer" when I swipe down to turn on one of the modes, the notification and option is gone and I can't do anything, and the phone continues to repeadedly connect and disconnect.

2) Spellcheck word replacement causes the keyboard to crash. When I click on a word to replace in the auto suggest list, the keyboard will crash, every time.

I tried doing some research on this:
"Unfortunately Samsung keyboard has stopped working".... - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/622705-auto-correct-suddenly-not-working.html
And the idea I got was to clear the data from the keyboard and disable dictonary. However when I went to settings and scrolled over to "Running"

3) Settings crashes when scrolling to all running aplications.

At this point I'm completely stumped and out of ideas.

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this?

Do I need to reflash my phone with the stock OS, or try a different one?

Reactions: ut_icedragon
Upvote 0
I think I'm going to have to wipe and install new ROM.

I only have backups of 2 apps I removed, and neither seem related to these probelms (Accessories 9, and SDM 1.0)

Lesson learned I suppose.

Good news is the phone is 99.9% functional. and the problems are really just small annoyances.

I've got all my user apps backed up on TI to the exteralSD card, as well as dropbox.

MY contacts are synced though verizon but if I go to CleanROM, I take it that feature will no longer work to restore contacts?

I can't figure out how to backup contacts to google. Can anyone help me out with that or suggest a good app for backing up contacts?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Do you have a gmail account?
If so, check the account via a pc to see if your contacts are there. i.e. synced from your phone to gmail. :)

I do, and some are not. Furthermore, there is no option to "merge with google" like I have seen in many help guides on this. Most of them are but there are some that for whatever reason are phone contacts only and I cannot figure out how to make them Google contacts. There are only a dozen or so so I suppose I could complete the job manually but I'm trying to figure out why they won't sync up.

Upvote 0
I do, and some are not. Furthermore, there is no option to "merge with google" like I have seen in many help guides on this. Most of them are but there are some that for whatever reason are phone contacts only and I cannot figure out how to make them Google contacts. There are only a dozen or so so I suppose I could complete the job manually but I'm trying to figure out why they won't sync up.

Try this ut:
Open your contacts app, then hit Menu, then Import/Export, select Export to SD Card, then Phone.

That should copy a csv file to the root of your SD Card. Copy that to the desktop of your PC.

Open the link I gave you a few posts up ( https://www.google.com/contacts/ ) , select More, Import, then select the csv file you just copied to your PC.

Head to the Sync menu of your phone and Sync google contacts, that should sync them down to your phone.
Credit to EP from this post:
http://androidforums.com/6439505-post8.html

edited slightly by me:)

There should also be an option in your gmail to "find and merge duplicates" (in the "More" dropdown) should any arise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones