• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] May have messed up brother's sprint gnex

Hi everyone,

First, I know that I'm posting in the Verizon section and not the Sprint section but I have the Verizon version and I feel like I know you guys better since I read a lot of the post here (even though I never post)

So my problem is this:

My brother picked up 2 sprint gnexs yesterday. Used wugfresh's 1.5.2 root toolkit to unlock and root the phone straight away.

I did some research and dl'd 2 different roms for him. (vanirAOSP 2.1, perfect) I then put them in dropbox folder for him. This is where the mistake comes in: I also put the JB bootloader that I used on my Verizon gnex. It was a careless mistake on my part.

On the instructions for the vanir rom, step one says to be on the jb bootloader and so he flashed the one that I sent him.

Now he can't seem to flash either of the two roms that I sent. He gets the "assert failed getprop ro.product.device error. He has tried to unroot and flash stock image from the wugfresh toolkit but it doesn't work (also cannot get it to work on the wife's phone even though nothing has been done to it but running the toolkit to unlock and root)

So I am stuck and don't know what to tell him to do. I cannot seem to find any bootloader (ics or jb) for sprint. He restored the nandroid before he flashed the wrong jb bootloader from me but I don't know if that removed it or not.

Thanks in advance for the help, you guys are the best.

Check this out:

[Unofficial] Factory Image Package For Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Kind of strange that you can't use the return to stock option on Wugs since he's the one that posted the unofficial factory images I'm sure he has it applied to the tool. But I guess if worse comes to worse, perhaps try the old manual, fastboot method.

The nandroid didn't fix it. Radios and bootloader aren't backed up or restored using nandroids.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, however I wasn't able to help him tonight so I will work on it tomorrow.

iowa: do you think that he needs to flash the stock image (if we can figure it out) because of the jb bootloader that I used on my verizon gnex?

prostang: does he need to flash the latest su (3.1.1)? Also, what is the difference with su and superuser? The wugfresh toolkit put superuser on and not su. Does that matter?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the short responses bro, I've been busy the last few days. If you don't want to mess with the full sdk, you can use this bare bones version from my dropbox account:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7460142/android-sdk-windows.zip

Unzip to the root of your computer's C drive. Now place the bootloader img file from the unpacked tar into the platform-tools folder of the skd package on your computer's C drive (drag and drop it there).

Now on the phone, go into the bootloader by powering off, then press and hold volume down + volume up + power. Don't select anything, it's already in fastboot mode by default. Plug in phone to pc. Open a command prompt on the pc and type:

cd c:\
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
fastboot devices

If it shows your phone's serial number your good. If not, install this driver and then reboot the pc and redo the above commands:

[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.7 - xda-developers

Once you get a positive response from the fastboot devices command in the form of a serial number then type these commands directly after:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toroplus-primesph-l700.fd02.img (I downloaded the file and extracted the contents to verify the proper filename)

fastboot reboot-bootloader

exit

Ok, so now restart the phone. You can do that from recovery...use the volume up to select a restart. Should be back on the original bootloader and done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones