1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Verizon Moto G and Hotspot Capability

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hook, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Howdy, folks. I'm a regular over on the Nexus 5 forums, but I am picking up a Verizon Moto G for my wife. Will, of course, be doing most of the IT work on it, so over here to learn what I can from you kind folks.

I no doubt will discover for myself in a couple of days when I get it, but I was wondering if this model has hotspot capabilities. I'm kind of assuming Verizon would have pulled that out.

If so, is there anything that doesn't involve rooting that would provide the same or similar capability?

I know AT&T doesn't allow it without a special plan on contract, but they really don't care on their prepaid Gophone plan.

Thanks for any information. :)

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Unless you buy a tethering plan, Verizon blocks tethered connections at the head end, so it doesn't matter what you do to the phone.

Hook likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    So this is true of prepaid as well? I figured probably so. One of the things I like about AT&T. If you prepay your data, why care what you do with it. If you run out you run out. ;)

Unfortunately, wife needs Verizon or I would get the play store version. :rolleyes:

4. saptech

saptech Android Expert
    None

Using an app like Foxfi will not let us tether with the Moto G? Interesting to know. I remember with my Stratosphere phone and Verizon, I was on the old plan with limited everything, I used Foxfi to tether and never heard anything from Vzw. But I didn't tether with it very long either.

Just a thought!

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.