• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Moved Files Not Showing Up On SDCard

gapi

Android Expert
May 14, 2011
N GA
alcphoto.net
I use Root Explorer to move or copy a file such as an .apk from System/app to my /SDcard and its hit or miss if it will show in Windows explorer or not.

I have to long press and email the darned thing to me to get it. It shows up in Root explorer but not windows.

I copy it back and it goes with out asking me if I want to replace. So........ Is Root Explorer telling me a lie about moving it?

Arrrghhh!!

I use Root Explorer to move or copy a file such as an .apk from System/app to my /SDcard and its hit or miss if it will show in Windows explorer or not.

I have to long press and email the darned thing to me to get it. It shows up in Root explorer but not windows.

I copy it back and it goes with out asking me if I want to replace. So........ Is Root Explorer telling me a lie about moving it?

Arrrghhh!!

This is due to the way MTP works and how the SD card is refreshed (or not). Just get SDrescan and after copying files or re-creating them, run that and then they should show up when you browse the device.

Not ideal, I know, but it's one of the prices we pay for not having USB mass storage. :cool:

Reactions: gapi
Upvote 0

Arrrghhh!!

I've never had this happened and moved a lot of stuff around in RE. WHat I have had happen on a number of occasions is after a custom kernel install (wiped dalvik and cache partition) a lot of my files on my virtual sdcard will not show up in WE until I reboot the phone 2-3 times.

So, I believe it is a weak link in the communication between the phone and the PC, or simply the MTP protocol. Just a guess, sorry so long :)

Upvote 0
Well, several reboots, a different PC, the OE USB cable and still no change. I can see it in the /mnt folder but I cannot get to that in WE. I am holding off on the app for now.

WTF!

/mnt/sdcard is the same as /sdcard, /sdcard is just a symbolic link to /mnt/sdcard.

Seriously, try the SDrescan app. I had the same problem with files not showing up on the sdcard, and forcing a re-scan makes them show up over MTP.

You shouldn't even need to unplug the device. Just keep it plugged in with the OEM cable (this is important, I've seen way too many issues with people using non-OEM cables) and run the SDrescan app. Browse to your computer -> galaxy nexus -> sdcard and the files should be there.

Upvote 0
I flashed from AOKP b25 to B26, then the Lean Kernel 2.2.0 and now any files I move, delete, copy, paste, or whatever update instantly.:eek:

Mercy!

Cool, so maybe a bug in b25? I know I've had a few cases where the SD card contents wouldn't show up immediately when new files were created and that app fixed it for me. I had just assumed that was "normal" behavior with MTP, but perhaps it was a bug that existed in M3 also?

Upvote 0
Cool, so maybe a bug in b25? I know I've had a few cases where the SD card contents wouldn't show up immediately when new files were created and that app fixed it for me. I had just assumed that was "normal" behavior with MTP, but perhaps it was a bug that existed in M3 also?

Yeh, I'm gonna put notes on this in this builds download folder for sure and it will be my go to nandroid for a while in the event others act the same.

I see what they mean by M-builds being stable. The lock screen on B25 & 26 will not let me add direct messaging or a navigation short cut either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones