1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Verizon network borked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alanthing, Jul 26, 2010.

1. alanthing

alanthing Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Hi there. I'm not sure if this is related to rooting my phone, I don't think it is, but since my phone is rooted and there's a chance that it is related I figured I'd ask here.

I recently downloaded the SwitchPro widget and one of the toggles is a 2G/3G button. I was exploring each switch and this one didn't seem to do anything except disable the mobile non-wifi internet. However since then it's not been working properly at all.

This is effecting me if I am without Wifi, so I start by disabling Wifi. If I go to Settings > Wireless & networks, Mobile network is checked and says "Use phone for data connection when Wi-Fi is unavailable." But mobile internet doesn't work (only calls and SMS come through). If I go to Internet and launch a page, I immediately get an error that the network is unavailable with an option to click Settings or Cancel. If I click Settings, the Mobile network checkbox is grayed out and then after a few seconds it says Connected.

After a few minutes of being idle, this happens again. If I go back to the Wireless & networks listing, it says "Use phone for data connection when Wi-Fi is unavailable" and the box is checked. If I uncheck and recheck is says "Connected."

Clearly this widget borked my Mobile network settings, presumably because it's meant for GSM. How can I restore these settings to what they should be without completely restoring my phone from scratch?

Advertisement

2. tehmonker

tehmonker Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    try holding down the power button for a few seconds, until the menu comes up, then at the bottom, make sure the Mobile Nework is ON, if not, try hitting that sucker

3. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Double check settings then turn on then off airplane mode and retry.

4. alanthing

alanthing Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks guys for both responding. After trying both of your ideas, whenever I go to Settings > Wireless & networks, I either see the Network turning on right then, or it's Unavailable until I toggle the checkbox. I think some settings are messed up that I need to restore. :(

5. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Happened to me today after removing city id.

i made a call it forwarded me to Verizon financial dept. They said they were monitoring my account? randomly started working again after about 30 mins, i couldnt send txt's or make calls.

Must just be coincidental or somthing

6. khanusma

khanusma Active Member

May 2, 2010
    I am having similar issues.

I was originally on stock and my 3G was working fine.

I decided I would go froyo so I updated the radio OTA, rooted with unrevoked3, and then updated to froyo.

I also applied the "market fix" after froyo which was "fingerprint_froyo.zip".

Now my incredible seems to lose the 3G once in a while and it wont come back without disabling mobile and re-enabling. Sometimes I have to put it in airplane mode first. Sometimes airplane mode won't take. Also the *228 operator tells me that she can't update my phone with either a 1 or a 2. Hoping for suggestions.

***EDIT - I fixed the problem. I went to bed and woke up and now there seem to be no issues. Works for me :).