1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] Newly Rooted & Unlocked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SeanM65, Aug 8, 2013.

1. SeanM65

SeanM65 Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2013
    Male
    Network Security Geek
    Lewes, DE
    Greetings all!

Longtime iOS user here, new to the Android community. I started with a Razr Maxx HD, but did something stupid - took the latest OTA update, which killed my ability to unlock the boot ROM. So... my wife had just changed back to an iPhone, which freed up her S3.

I took her S3, and was able to successfully root & unlock it last night. What a huge difference.

Being on Verizon, we were constantly being hit with bloatware and ads whenever we started up the phones. That was one of the reasons she wanted to go back to the iPhone, and the biggest reason why I wanted to root & unlock. Verizon buried their ad program in their network app, so you couldn't delete it. Sneaky buggers.

I attempted to use Casual, but it would not root properly. So, I found a step-by-step guide over on XDA that worked just fine. Got root, then unlocked the boot ROM. I tried installing Cyanogen Mod first, but that seemed to hang for a long, long time. I waited close to 30 minutes to get past the first boot, and it never made it, so I switch over to CleanROM 7. That process when perfectly, without a hitch, hiccup, or burp.

It's wonderful to turn on the phone to make a call and not get blasted with the latest ad for slots, phones, games, or anything else.

The only question I came across is the restoration of my boot chain. I'm on VRBMF1, and the instructions on XDA don't show a boot chain for that version. I do see that this step is optional, but I'd like to do it if possible. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be most helpful.

Otherwise... happy to be part of the "rooted & unlocked S3 family" now.

Here's the thread I followed over on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

Sean

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Welcome Sean!!

I have not seen that yet--the MF1 bootchain to restore.

Would I worry about it? Not too much if I were you.
    What does it exactly do? Not sure.

Sorry I couldn't provide a better answer for you, but perhaps someone else knows something I don't :)

By the way, WELCOME TO AF!! :D

Wizard Prang and breadnatty08 like this.
  3. rexster314

rexster314 Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    I just rooted with Casual. First try didn't work, but rebooted the phone, then tried again with success. Fastest root I've ever seen.

4. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Male
    Oil Engineer stuff
    CO
    I read this and began to wonder if I went full crazy with multiple personalities. It's almost my same story. But I did get Casual to work. It took a couple of times to stick then I flashed Carbon.

5. bbolton_98

bbolton_98 Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    mf1 is the latest, your good as long as you don't try to run old kernels. if you do the camera will crash and not work until you change back to newer kernel or older aio(all_in_one)[modem,rpm,tz,etc]. most all newer roms and kernels are good to go.