1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] noob has goofed flashing 4.0.4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zx10droid, May 2, 2012.

1. zx10droid

zx10droid Android Expert
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    so today i flashed the new 4.0.4 ota leak, and after that i am no longer able to boot into cwm recovery. if i try to reboot into recovery, it goes to stock recovery, but the recovery file was renamed wth *.bak long ago when i first unlocked and rooted. any ideas how i can get back into cwm recovery? sorry if this is noob, i have been unlocked and rooted since day 1 but this is actually the first thing i have flashed.

ps - i have always been able to make cwm backups and flash back to them before applying this leak

Advertisement

2. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    It sounds like you lost root. If you got the flat out stock 4.0.4 and flash it you lose root. I'm pretty sure you can just repeat the root procedure, but before you try that wait for someone to confirm.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    I haven't been following the leak especially well other than the radios but did the package you flashed include the stock recovery img perhaps? And if so, do you have the sdk/fastboot set up on your PC? If so, you can flash cwm recovery back to the phone. May need to reflash su also depending on what you flashed.

Scary Alien also has an android root toolkit app that would do the recovery portion for you.

4. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    After doing some more research, it appears the leak does kill root and some people are having a problem getting it back via su.zip. I did locate a version that's supposedly modified for 4.0.4 posted at Android Central. Might want to try it instead if this describes your situation.

su.zip

trophynuts and scary alien like this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yep, that's the same su.zip (different download location, same MD5 checksum) that I posted here as an alternate that works for 4.0.4:

How to root

Apparently, the old su.zip files didn't quite work right in 4.0.4 and the updated su binary in either of the above download links is happy with 4.0.4.

BTW, the newer su.zip is also much simpler in the way it installs the root binaries (not that most folks care, but the old su.zip installation script was a bit of a head-scratcher ;) :)).

Cheers!

Crashumbc, trophynuts and iowabowtech like this.
  6. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Haha should have known SA had the problem already pinpointed before the leak even broke. :thumbup:

scary alien likes this.
Tags: