• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Note 9 will not charge via cable

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    So Former Tax Deduction #1 has a recurring problem with his Verizon Note 9: it will NOT charge with a USB-C cable. ANY cable. Wireless charging, yes. But something in the firmware boogers up connected charging. He spent 2 hours with Verizon tech support, only to have them tell him what he already knew... but this is apparently a firmware problem that was referred to Samsung by Verizon.

How many Verizon Note 9 users here are experiencing that? And does anyone here know of a fix or workaround? Other than wireless charging...

Is there any documented summary of this alleged Note 9 charging problem? Or is it just hearsay from a customer service staffer?
    Also, it would eliminate repetition if we knew just what he did or didn't try -- you referred to different cables so assuming he tried different chargers too, what about charging the phone while powered off or while in Safe mode.

Upvote 0
    This is a weird problem, and I suspect it's with the Verizon firmware. I had the unlocked Note 9 and never had this problem. The Darling Bride has had the Note 9 for nearly a year and has never had this problem. His phone still won't charge by cable... so, for his birthday Sunday, we're sending him a wireless charging stand and a wireless charging car mount. It's the best thing I can think of - and Jeanette my Note 10+ charges wireless almost exclusively. I have wireless charging stands on my night table in the bedroom and on my office desk. Always lots of power available.

Upvote 0
    Very late to the party on this thread, I haven't been on the forums in quite a while, other than yesterday to boast about getting on board for the 20 Ultra after skipping the 10.

Anyway, I'm on VZW and have done all the software updates as they've come, and haven't had this issue, but When trying to plug the phone into my bike the other day to try out Android Auto for the first time, I noticed that my port must be fudged somehow because just looking at the cable the wrong way will make it lose it's connection. I haven't used a cable in quite a long time as I just wirelessly charge overnight every night. I tried a few different cables, and no matter what, just the most minor touch or movement of the cables will cause disconnection. I'm not sure how, or why, or even how long this has been an issue, and it's nothing major, but was wondering what your ultimate outcome has been. Was it really firmware, or something physical with your port?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones