• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Odin kernel swap help please.

ncdude

Oct 12, 2010
Hi all,

I was trying the kernel swap on my s5 but I still only get towelroot to hang after hitting the make it rain button. Has anyone been able to get this method to work? If you have please share with me how you did it. I followed the steps I found online.

I appreciate the help.

1. Take the NCG to NE9 OTA Update or flash the G900VVRU1ANE9 Retail tar in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
2. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
3. Flash the G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
4. Root using Towelroot.
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
6. Flash the G900V_NE9_Stock_Kernel also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). Done!

Notes: After flashing the NCG kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NE9 kernel your phone will run like a champ again!

Important!: Do not skip any steps or you may experience issues with your device after following this process.

Android version 4.4.4
Model SM-G900V
Kernel 3.4.0

As far as I can tell nothing changed.

Reactions: aviralmsharma
Upvote 0
4.4.4 this whole time, it never changed. I know this should be easy but damn if towelroot doesn't just sit there. I have set the phone down for 15 minutes and come back to check that towel root is still sitting there. I have two versions of towelroot, ver 3 and the first ver. Are there any others?

Upvote 0
4.4.4 this whole time, it never changed. I know this should be easy but damn if towelroot doesn't just sit there. I have set the phone down for 15 minutes and come back to check that towel root is still sitting there. I have two versions of towelroot, ver 3 and the first ver. Are there any others?
I decided to head over here to see what all is going on because I haven't been here in a while. We have most of the big breakthroughs over at XDA. I also needed a break from trying to mod SafeStrap to support external sd ROM slots Lol. But anyway, have you had any luck with your phone? A lot of people have been having the same problem as you and we never mind stepping in and helping, to see if something simple might have just been missed. I'm not sure what exact steps you've tried, but there are only three that really matter, when it comes to the actual phone side of it.
1. Boot to Download Mode and flash NCG firmware only with Odin
2. Boot normally and run Towelroot (use Ver 3)
3. Boot back to Download Mode when rooting is complete, and flash NI2 firmware only with Odin. Then reboot=Profit!
This is assuming you have the correct Samsung drivers installed and you have Odin and all that good stuff. The version of Android you're running isn't a factor at all. Flashing the NCG firmware isn't going to change the version of Android you're on, because it's just the kernel, not the full OS. It kind of sounds like the firmware isn't flashing correctly in Odin though. Did you make sure to enable USB Debugging before using Odin in Download Mode? If you have any more problems and can't figure it out, you can get with me here or through PM. I don't mind walking you through the process so we can figure out what's wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones