• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon offering smaller data plans on smartphones

tommy_ed

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2010
Word through the grapevine is that verizon will be offering a $15 and possibly even a $9.99 data plan option on smartphones starting sometime in november. Will you be sticking with unlimited if they do?

On another note, if you are currently using a MiFi device or USB Broadband device, they will be offering a 79.99 10 GB plan for it as well!

Upvote 0
Here are the new plan details:

- No more 3G Multimedia phone category, Feature phones and 3G Multimedia phones are now all grouped in the Feature phone category.

- 3G Smartphone category remains the same.

Feature phone data package options:

$0 - No data package (You must add a data block to your phone). This includes all phones that previously required a $9.99 data plan. So, if you really don't use data on a 3G Multimedia phone, then you can block data and Verizon will remove the package.

$9.99 - 25MB. This is only allowed on 3G Multimedia phones purchased before 10/28/2010.

$15 - 150 MB This is for all phones purchased before, on, or after 10/28/2010. The $9.99 option will not be available for new activations.

$29.99 - Unlimited. This has not changed.

3G Smartphone data package options:

$15 - 150MB. This is now allowed for any previous or new activation.

$29.99 - unlimited. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: dankeys4
Upvote 0
I STILL haven't done the training :rolleyes:

question - how would I go about removing the 9.99 package in eroes?

I just tried to remove it from an ENV-Touch I just sold. When I uncheck the box for the 9.99 package in the feature list, it automatically adds the $15 dollar package. I also tried blocking data for the line, and that didn't do anything either. When I remove the $15 package, it just goes right back to the $9.99! uggghhhh

Upvote 0
actually they are, if you currently have the 9.99 25mb plan you can drop it or bump up to $15 or $30 without changing your voice/text plan! :D

Called Verizon today to get the 9.99 plan off my wifes Env Touch. They will not drop the data plan because it was required for that phone. Any new customers or upgrading your existing plan with a new phone, you can have the three options of data. So yeah, sad day:(

Upvote 0
Called Verizon today to get the 9.99 plan off my wifes Env Touch. They will not drop the data plan because it was required for that phone. Any new customers or upgrading your existing plan with a new phone, you can have the three options of data. So yeah, sad day:(

ehhh i just called tech and yes, you are right... you can go up to the $15 -150mb plan, but can't drop the 9.99 package unless you bought the phone after the 28th... sorry! :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones