1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Overclocking 1.5Ghz or higher

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MunderS, Dec 29, 2011.

1. MunderS

MunderS Newbie

With the Galaxy Nexus running a cpu designed to run at 1.5Ghz, why do all the overclock kernals stop at 1.35 or 1.4Ghz? Shouldn't it be easy to get this thing to run well over 1.5Ghz?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

i can't even run at 1.4 gHz without the system locking up. this seems to be the case for many other users as well. 1.35 gHz is as far as i can push this processor on the GNex. strange that i could push my thunderbolt processor up to 1.97 gHz with absolutely no issues though.

3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

All phones are different when it comes to how much you can overclock, the OG Droid was a BEAST!!! However even on that there were some who could not go higher then 1.0 gHz. My OG Droid was great and I could get up to 1.97, however my TBolt couldn't be OC'd at all, at least not stablely.

4. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

I understand people like to tinker and push their phones to the limit. That being said, other than those reasons I see absolutely no need to OC this phone. It's fast as hell as is and anything more than 1.2 is just a waste of battery, IMO.

scotty85, Squintz82, ska.t73 and 2 others like this.
  5. MunderS

MunderS Newbie

Lol I agree this phone is awesome fast. However, there's just something inside me that just can't leave well enough alone.:p I think the longest I've stuck with a single rom is about a couple months running Liquid on my X, and I always have to push my OC to the limit! That's the whole reason I bought this sweet phone!:D

6. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast

I agree with worm but I must say its more of us wanting to say we could do it if we want to, not that its always practical to. I'm sorta disappointed it won't go higher.

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I agree, no need to push it without a need.

But for those who wish to push it remember the development for the nexus is still young as the kernels get updated I would expect how far you can push it to rise.

8. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

9. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

10. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

i say give it more time. I predict we'll see at least 1.5 if not 1.7 within 6 months. Heat is apparently a big factor for the G Nex. I've read reports of a Dev putting his G Nex in the freezer when it was OC'd really high just to keep it cool to see what he could get benchmark wise.

Yeahha likes this.
  11. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Sweet maybe this will be the first phone to get watercooled cases :D

I've noticed mine getting pretty warm at times as well while in use so that makes sense to me as well.

12. SolidOrange

Maybe someone should try liquid nitrogen. ;)

Maximum Speed | AMD FX Processor Takes Guinness World Record - YouTube

13. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert

Like others have said give it some time it took the Thunderbolt months to get kernals that were stable at high speeds I ran mine as high as 1.8ghz without a problem . I clocked my Nexus at 1.4 and it had problems 1.35 seems to be the sweet spot as of now but I didn't notice any benefit so I'm back at 1.2 .

14. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

What app are you using to oc it with? Have you tried different apps to see if they all have the same limits?

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Nobody is reading the "why" part, only making assumptions here. Interesting.

16. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Android Expert

I doubt you will ever see any stable overclocks higher than 1.4. TI intended for the 4460 to run at 1.5 but found that in its current form it just was not stable so backed the clocks down to a 100% stable speed. It is incorrect to think that the 4460 is "underclocked" as its running at the highest speed TI could reliably maintain. You may see 1.5 4460 devices in the future but only if TI can figure out the issues keeping it from reaching that speed.

17. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

TI backed off of the 1.5. Did you not read any of the links I posted and WHY? You can run 1.5 all day at 3.0, but when the phone clocks down, it's not stable in that mode.:D:D

Yeahha likes this.
  18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Yeah you are right. Currently it wont happen but I do have faith that some dev will be determined enough to find a way. Having said that I still don't see a need to OC the nexus at this time.

From the link you posted if the problem is the DCC crashing when turned off to scale down the speed it is a software issue and can be fixed by the dev community not a limitation of the hardware causing the limits on OC.

19. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Let's hope that the multiplier mod can be modded, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. You should be thankful for the undervolting mods so far. The built in and distributed TI code, is that GPL? I haven't gone that far, but if there's source out there, I'll compile it for arm and give it some goes... even DCC mods if the source is really there.

Again, this is a cursory look. Not going to get serious into the code until we get official OTA 4.0.3

Yeahha likes this.
  20. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

You apparently know much more about the development than myself. I've watched many thing that "can't" be done with Android become things that can be done so I put my trust in the dev community.

Really with myself and OC it will come down to does my phone need to go faster, if so it would be great to be able to push it to where it needs to be, if not then what is available beyond what I need is great but nothing for me to fret about.

21. SolidOrange

i will admit that i have an addiction to speed. as with every car i have ever owned, there comes a point where a device certainly doesn't NEED to be any faster... but i still WANT it to be. :eek: ;)

22. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Well, let's hope that engineers like myself can help and/or consult, lol.

Most people will be happy with undervolting for battery life. OC on this phone will super-kill your battery.

Most phones suffer poor battery life when overclocking, or more battery drain, that's a fact. I've overclocked a lot of phones, even with the low governor at the factory setting. Just give it time, I've presented the hardware challenges... there could be a way around it.

However not understanding the hardware... you are all just wishing, and TI isn't listening.

23. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Rawr! We all have that bug... well at least most of us. If it performs faster yay, and some people can benchmark all day for fun or domination over their friends.

SolidOrange likes this.
  24. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

LOL, I'd love to see speeds higher than 1.5 just for the technical achievement aspect of it.

I've been running at 920MHz for about a week when I'm not plugged-in... I've noticed no perceptible performance or responsiveness penalty and battery life is a little bit better--not huge mind you, but noticeable and appreciated.

Cheers!

scotty85 and SolidOrange like this.
  25. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

For someone who drives a train you seem to know an awful lot about development :p;)
    Sorry, I am sure you have heard some variation of that joke too many times

Yeah everyone should understand that OC will hurt battery life. The faster the processor goes the higher the voltage has to go (given you can undervolt and have a higher slot use the stock voltage for 1.2 in most cases but eventually the processor will require more than the stock voltage required for 1.2). Also there will be more heat generated which hurts battery life.

Yeah until either TI fixes the DCC issue or a dev can hack something to make it work better we will be limited. It could never happen you are right. Most of this discussion is just conjecture and wishes. I am also guilty of wishing via statement in this thread.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews