• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Phone charging extremely slow, even when off

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
I am rooted, running CleanRom, and I have an extended Hyperion battery. But everything has been fine for months.

I recently noticed (thought) the battery wasnt taking a charge, so I ordered a new battery. That didnt fix the problem, so i got a new wall plug.. Still not fixed.

Even turned off, the phone took 10 hours to go from 20% - 100%

Not sure what else I can try. Id hate to have to get VZW involved :(

Any ideas?

For me, using the stock cable has no problem but changing the charger indeed made a difference. Im still using my original stock charger though from time to time. I try to monitor the charging current make sure i have at least 500-600current(max i could get on samsung stock charger is 600 while using the ipad charger gives me 800-900). Rooting and putting a custom Rom and kernel really helped a lot on charging too. You can always try to unplug and re-plug the cable and check how much current it gives you in that way you would know if your charging is slow or normal. I still really dont get why i had this problem only after upgrading to JB while reverting back to ICS gets everything back to normal(charging). Although I think this does not apply to all but i knew some of my friends are having the same issue. This is one of the reason I wanted to root :D

Upvote 0
I have had similar charging problems with Galaxy S3 and with various Samsung chargers. At least with one model unplugging and replugging the charger to the mains helped. Viewing the Battery Discharging graph History details the impact was obvious. Based on the graph gradient the charging seems 10 times faster after the unplugging/replugging.

Upvote 0
S3 has like a safety thing that really decreases the current draw when it thinks a charger could be damaged. You can over-ride that feature with some custom kernels but ive never dared lol.
Theres playstore apps that can tell you what charging current youre gettin. A stock s3 should draw 1000mA :thumbup:

EDIT lol mega-ninja'd by SU months ago sorry :D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones