1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] phone reboot upon incoming call

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bunanson, Nov 13, 2014.

1. bunanson

bunanson Well-Known Member

My s4 was running good. Acceidentally hit update, now running 4.4.2. whenever phone rings, phone would reboot. Any suggestion or where to look? Tks

The ota update also took away my root

Verizon S4

bun

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

After update was done . Did you complete a factory data reset .

3. bunanson

No. Do i suppose to? Would that mess up my verizon subscription?

Tks

bun

4. BRAINZ2013

No it shouldn't mess with the subscription but I hope you remember the password and sign in info

5. bunanson

Tks. Would factory reset revert phone to previous os where towelroot would work?

Tia

bun

6. BRAINZ2013

O wait you didn't say you was rooted you say you hit the update and it did update but your still rooted . :eek: hmmmmm but if your still rooted just wipe data cache from the recovery . Yes complete THE WIPE ACTION FROM THE RECOVERY.

bunanson likes this.
  7. bunanson

It is real cute that you put this " :eek: ". Thanks. You are wonderful; I did a factory reset, and I could not believe it, my phone is almost back to normal! I called, and tested incoming called, all for 24 hrs, not even 1 single reboot!

I was rooted before the OTA update; of course, I lost my root after the update; instead I got those random reboot, like 1 per every 15 min and every single incoming call. Till I cannot stand it any more, and with your kind suggestion, I bited the bullet, and the phone is totally back to working status. I still lost my root. I looked it up, the root is not as straight forward as using towelroot. I am going to just wait a bit.

BTW, if you only have root, but no recovery installed, how do you go and erase davlik cache or other cache. I only know how to do it within either CWM or the other recovery :) . Thank you again, my phone is up and running, nice.

BTW, I know update is to patch people from root, so I was NOT going to update, especially I found out the update is NOT 4.4.4, but just some minor enhancement. The darn problems is samsung put on the update screen every couple minutes, and when the phone left in the shirt pocket, the update menu is up, and when the update screen was mistakenly pressed, you are dead, the update is going. I saw the update, with the green android and the octagon turning turning, I was debating should I interupt it by turning power off? would that brick the phone? Oh well, I let it went through and that is what I got, lost my root, and random reboot.
    bun

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  8. BRAINZ2013

Sorry about root but since 5.0 has taken over minor updates are popping up but if you want you can just wait for the update rooting tool. Or just downgrade the firmware if available. But you will need to reroot

9. bunanson

Tks, I'll wait. The phone random reboot made the phone unusable. I am kind of scare of new thing to bring the random boot happen again. I really thank you for the suggestion, and now my phone is, hey, working again!

bun

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews