• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon phone replacement

jcnyc

Android Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2011
So I got my tbolt when it first released and within a few weeks it was giving me some problems. I called customer serivce and they fedexed me a new phone to which the problems were no more. They also provided an envelope (more ilke a plastic bag) for me to put my phone in to send back. At first I was a little confused if this was indeed the envelope to send it back but I called customer service again just to verify and they send yes the envelope is for that purpose and just throw it in the mailbox. 2 months later, with no problem, I get a hefty 350$ in my bill due 6/18. I called CS again and they said they were put an investigation in and to call back in a few days.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? thx.

When I had my phone replaced it came in a box and I had to put my old phone in the same box and send it back. It came with a shipping label.

Me too. Never heard of a plastic bag to do a return. Did you keep a copy of the tracking number? You said you called vzn about the bag so I hope they noted that on your acct. I hope this gets sorted out, GL.

Upvote 0
Well the replacement phone itself came in a box, within a fedex envelope. The box itself was pretty small and within the box was the phone (which was in the regular packaging), some paperwork, a plastic bag for returns and some that was it. There was no smaller box to send the broken phone back. I would have for sure noticed if there was a box or not but there wasn't, just a plastic bag which was addressed to Verizon's headquarters somewhere in texas I think so I called Customer serivce just to be sure and they confirmed it so I sent it via the plastic bag. ugh.

Upvote 0
They definitely didn't send me a separate box to put it in, just some plastic bag. I think I might be f'd. Oh well will see next week and will challenge it to the end.

I too got a brand new replacement after my phone was giving me issues the first week I bought it (it was purchased on the release date).

I think you are getting a little confused. Verizon does not send you a separate box to return your phone. You send it back in the same box it came in, but with the new label that they provided in the box on it (so you don't have to pay for shipping).

You may have sent your phone back in the RECYCLE bag that comes in the box whenever Verizon sends you a brand new phone. The recycle bag is like a zip lock and it is for people to send their old phones to be recycled (some green hippies probably were angry at VZW for not providing an easy way to recycle, so they started to send free recycling bags in all new phones, thinking that only people who purchased new phone with upgrades will be getting the bags), and it not intended for customers with replacement orders.

So, to recap:
A. You send the phone back in the box it came in, with the new provided label
B. The bag is for recycling old phones (not phones that need replacing)

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
For all those having experience with replacement phones, can someone please advise if there is a way to transfer my old phone settings to my new phone. I was a former bb user and if I needed a replacement, I would back everything, activate my new phone, enter in a few license keys and everything would download. Text messages, contacts, emails, ringtones, apps, preferences etc...

Is there a way to do this with a tb or do I have to go though the whole process again??
Thanks
Click

Upvote 0
For all those having experience with replacement phones, can someone please advise if there is a way to transfer my old phone settings to my new phone. I was a former bb user and if I needed a replacement, I would back everything, activate my new phone, enter in a few license keys and everything would download. Text messages, contacts, emails, ringtones, apps, preferences etc...

Is there a way to do this with a tb or do I have to go though the whole process again??
Thanks
Click
When you receive your replacement TB just put in the 4G sim card from your previous one and it will automatically activate the phone. It will also download your contacts. As for your settings you will have to redo them.
Hope this help.

Reactions: clickclick
Upvote 0
Writing in response to the OP, even though the problem's likely been resolved:

I've also had to return a couple of phones via that sketchy padded envelope, without any problems thankfully. In both instances they were replacements through Asurion, not Verizon.

So, perhaps in the OP's case, it was an Asurion transaction as well, and there was just some sort of glitch between Asurion and Verizon processing the return. Not sure how all that nonsense works.

Anyway, hope it's all been straightened out for ya by now.

Upvote 0
Great news for me and for all. Got a credit for the full amount saturday. Not sur eif they even found the phone or not but i got it credited. Besides, you'd have to be a complete ****** to think someone would be generous enoguh to recycle a thunderbolt a week after it was released.

Upvote 0
it was probably for their Hopeline program. You return your phone, battery, charger, in the plastic bag. if it's in decent shape, they'll recondition it for use in Hopeline. if not, then it's recycled. it's not like the bag isn't clearly labeled...

the shipment should have had the "Getting Started" packet, wherein the return label is located.

glad to know you didn't get stuck with the charge, tho!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones