• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Pre-order, Release date, and speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Verizon did this on PURPOSE to encourage people to use their 4G network and use wifi less. Think about it, the more 4G data you use, the more money goes into Verizon's pockets! Verizon..."let's hide the wifi switch and maybe we'll have more customers go over their data limits...bawhahahaaaa!!!"

yea but I still have my unlimited data plan ..bawhahahaaaa!!!

Upvote 0
well, now my "order status" page shows my order number, and a + sign in the tracking number field.

hit the plus and it expands down. courier and tracking number are blank, says "will ship by 7/9/12"

I pre-ordered on the first day, at approximately 10:00 PM CST.

I'm hoping the change in the status page means it went to the carrier today!!!

Upvote 0
What I'd like to know is where are all of those posters who said that they were getting their S3's today.

Are they in some corner strokin' their S3's. Are we just has beens now?

Report play by plays will ya! Ya'll come back right quick now, ya hear!!! (not bad for a NY'er)

I've been lurking most of the day...maybe out of habit???

Anyways, I know this isn't the forum, but if there is something you want to know, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

First impression was bad because of the activation problems. The color actually looks like purple to me or a purple/gray to me. But there is always a little purple no matter what kind of light I'm in.

No big v logo on the front, only the back.

Network speeds are awesome so far. See a previous post about my speed test results.

Still trying to figure some stuff out. Making a contact shortcut is a pita so far.

When I was calling my voicemail earlier, it keep vibrating, don't know why.

The screen is huge and the call screen has big numbers as well.

It's very thin.

It's much lighter than I expected.

I'm averaging about 2.5 bars out of 5 at my work (where I've been all day since activating).

Batter life does suck. It was fully charged when I left my house and was off until I was able to activate it. It's yellow currently.

It's pretty responsive so far. There is a slight delay going to the home screen, but not terrible.

Face unlock works pretty good. It has worked for me every time, and not worked for a few co-workers.

The screen doesn't seem to like to turn off on it's own every time. Right now for example, it's been at least a full minute since I've picked it up to look at the signal and it's still lit up. Don't know what's up with that. (edit, it appears the setting "Smart Stay" is the culprit.)

S-voice is pretty cool so far. Looks exactly like Siri from my fiance's iPhone to me though.

I don't like the home button so far. I guess I'm just used to the way my OG Dinc worked.

Hmm..other than getting used to the button locations, there's not much else I can think of at the moment.

I'm hoping the case, holder, sd card and charger hurry the heck up! I'm disappointed that verizon hasn't had them available on their site yet. I would have had those ordered and here by now. I ended up ordering from Amazon. Should get everything by this time next week at the latest.

HTH

Upvote 0
notplayin.jpg

I have gotten TWO emails from VZ today, neither of which are shipping notifications for my S3. They are just messing with me, I know they are!

Upvote 0
Here is a couple of my observations; I've been messing with the phone now for about 5 hours. I'm coming from a Incredible2, Touchwiz is different, it's going to take time but at this point I prefer Sense. JMO The reception is not as good in my house, as the Dinc which had -85dbm and the S3 has -115dbm, but it still connects just fine. I'm not going to blame the radio, I believe it's due to the antenna design. WiFi was really quick to setup, contacts synced automatically, and so did the calendar. 4G is pure awesomeness, wish it had WiFi toggle in drop down, wish it had smaller time/weather widget on home screen. Love that you can hide apps!!!! Very, very, very thin but fits in the hand nice. I put it in a Siedio Surface case and it feels more secure.

Upvote 0
Maybe Verizon did this on PURPOSE to encourage people to use their 4G network and use wifi less. Think about it, the more 4G data you use, the more money goes into Verizon's pockets! Verizon..."let's hide the wifi switch and maybe we'll have more customers go over their data limits...bawhahahaaaa!!!"

Ha it's funny though, I signed into my verizon to check out if everything updated and when i hit the button it asked if i wanted to connect to wifi using this app since a wifi network was found. Verizon might just be stupid

Upvote 0
Here is a couple of my observations; I've been messing with the phone now for about 5 hours. I'm coming from a Incredible2, Touchwiz is different, it's going to take time but at this point I prefer Sense. JMO The reception is not as good in my house, as the Dinc which had -85dbm and the S3 has -115dbm, but it still connects just fine. I'm not going to blame the radio, I believe it's due to the antenna design. WiFi was really quick to setup, contacts synced automatically, and so did the calendar. 4G is pure awesomeness, wish it had WiFi toggle in drop down, wish it had smaller time/weather widget on home screen. Love that you can hide apps!!!! Very, very, very thin but fits in the hand nice. I put it in a Siedio Surface case and it feels more secure.

Try Fancy Widgets for the time/weather. I got the pro version free from Amazon's FAOTD way back and love it.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the update... but I believe ICS reads your LTE signal vs the Dinc is reading your 3g signal. Have you had any issues with connectivity?

Upvote 0

This isn't the thread for this, perhaps, but could you do a review of the Seidio Surface case for the S3? Some pics and/or video would be incredible, but any feedback would be great. Thanks. S3 Case Thread Here

Upvote 0
Yes!!!!!!! I finally called tech support... Then hit 4 then said check order status, then it said it had shipped, then it asked if I wanted my tracking number. I did so I said yes and then it texted it to me! Will be in my hometown in store tomorrow by 4:30.... I live 4 hrs away in Lubbock and will fly further away from there at 4 tomorrow... Guess I will get it Monday but I'm not complaining... Good luck everyone else!!!!!! Thanks for everyone's help!!!!!!!

I did the same thing and it always transfers me to a rep and they say the same thing, will ship on the 10th.

Pre ordered by phone on 6/14 3:31pm 16GB Blue, WA State.. still no CC charge, still no email, nothing.. *sigh*...

Upvote 0
I've been lurking most of the day...maybe out of habit???

Anyways, I know this isn't the forum, but if there is something you want to know, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

First impression was bad because of the activation problems. The color actually looks like purple to me or a purple/gray to me. But there is always a little purple no matter what kind of light I'm in.

No big v logo on the front, only the back.

Network speeds are awesome so far. See a previous post about my speed test results.

Still trying to figure some stuff out. Making a contact shortcut is a pita so far.

When I was calling my voicemail earlier, it keep vibrating, don't know why.

The screen is huge and the call screen has big numbers as well.

It's very thin.

It's much lighter than I expected.

I'm averaging about 2.5 bars out of 5 at my work (where I've been all day since activating).

Batter life does suck. It was fully charged when I left my house and was off until I was able to activate it. It's yellow currently.

It's pretty responsive so far. There is a slight delay going to the home screen, but not terrible.

Face unlock works pretty good. It has worked for me every time, and not worked for a few co-workers.

The screen doesn't seem to like to turn off on it's own every time. Right now for example, it's been at least a full minute since I've picked it up to look at the signal and it's still lit up. Don't know what's up with that. (edit, it appears the setting "Smart Stay" is the culprit.)

S-voice is pretty cool so far. Looks exactly like Siri from my fiance's iPhone to me though.

I don't like the home button so far. I guess I'm just used to the way my OG Dinc worked.

Hmm..other than getting used to the button locations, there's not much else I can think of at the moment.

I'm hoping the case, holder, sd card and charger hurry the heck up! I'm disappointed that verizon hasn't had them available on their site yet. I would have had those ordered and here by now. I ended up ordering from Amazon. Should get everything by this time next week at the latest.

HTH

Much appreciated!

Just one point - Li-ion batteries develop strength in the first week of use so don't be discouraged. I remember that with MY Dinc.

Smart Stay should be a great feature with me.

I ordered about 15 different cases from 2 different China wholesalers. The TPU cases averaged about .75 cents a piece.

Got my SGP steinhil protectors already.

Good luck with yours!

Upvote 0
No, it all seems to connect just fine. Is there a way to get both readings?

If you go into settings....more...mobile networks... network mode... then choose CDMA. The phone will then read 3g signal. Then check Dbm.

This is what I have to do on my Gnex - should be similar but maybe not exactly the same location.

Upvote 0

Is that 4g compared to 3g (if so, not bad) or, 3g to 3g (bad).

If the latter, that signal is not what wanting to see, since I had an Inc as well. That difference would mean no signal at my work that is about 105 dbm with the Inc.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity I decided to call 611 to check my order.

Other options - 4
Spoke the words "order status"

It responded "your order number ##### has been processed and shipped. Estimated shipping time, 2 days."

Then it asked me if I want a tracking number. When I said yes it said "your phone has been received and activated" HUH? that's news to me.

I spoke to a representative to ask why the on-line status order doesn't show anything, but the phone system says it's been shipped. Apparently since there is no tracking number yet it thinks I received the phone already.

As usual, the rep said it is scheduled to ship the 9th - duh. Not really his fault. On an up note, I asked if I could have it next day instead of 2nd day, he said it's in the system as standard overnight. We'll see

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones