• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Prices Galaxy Tablet at $600 - Very Bad Move

slider9499

Jan 1, 2009
NYC
Verizon just announced it will sell the GAlaxy Tablet for d$600 plus a $20 per month fee for 1 ghost of dTa

Dumb, dumb, dumb move

For this to be a huge hit it had to come iat least $100 less than the iPad. Perception is everythibv Nd folks will not pay more money for what they perceive is a smaller, not as good tablet

This really does not make sense. The Galaxy seems like a decent device, but its not better than other tablets coming soon at a cheaper price. Why buy this for $600 and tie yourself to Verizon when you can buy a better device soon for much less and tether to your android phone?

What part of this announcement makes sense?

Upvote 0
This really does not make sense. The Galaxy seems like a decent device, but its not better than other tablets coming soon at a cheaper price. Why buy this for $600 and tie yourself to Verizon when you can buy a better device soon for much less and tether to your android phone?

What part of this announcement makes sense?

Actually it does make sense, in a twisted way, for Samsung...

Samsung likely figures that they can compete this tablet directly with the iPad and get all kind of sales to people wanting iPads but not willing to give their money to Apple. Personally I think Samsung is in for a rather rude awakening...

Upvote 0
I think that it will be a moderate succes for VZW, I also believe that after xmas the price will go to 1/2 I was a vzw cst for years and saw that time after time.

as for corporate adoption, personally working for a corporstion in the medical field, who have already adopted tablet pc's I can tell you the adoption rate is a VERY long process.

Andy pads will be 4th GEN by the time most major corps adopt them

Upvote 0
Something to consider... With VZW selling the iPad I'd think they are one step closer to the iPhone...

I am 100% sure that Apple does not want the Samsung Tab flying off the shelves... I am also 100% sure that there is no way VZW could think that $599 is a good price point for the Samsung Tab if they really wanted to sell them...

Did VZW overprice this on purpose to make Apple happy? I am going to assume they did..

Upvote 0
3G is optional so you aren't tied to verizon. And it has wifi so you do have options.

If used only as wifi tablet it fails big time when one can get a wifi only iPad for $499 or the Archos 70 for $275

I hope VZW didn't order a ton of these thinking they would fly out the door at that price.... The only thing I can see flying, is dust on the Tab's box...

Upvote 0
If used only as wifi tablet it fails big time when one can get a wifi only iPad for $499 or the Archos 70 for $275

I hope VZW didn't order a ton of these thinking they would fly out the door at that price.... The only thing I can see flying, is dust on the Tab's box...

Well it still looks good to me. Why pay around 100.00 less for an iPad that won't play flash videos? And why pay extra money to duplicate the apps I already have through Market? As far as the Archos goes there is no clue yet when the 70 will actually ship, and after my experience with the 5IT I don't want another tablet I have to fight with.

So far, even with the price it looks like the Galaxy Tab is still the way for me to go. I just have to sell some of my other toys to buy it...

Upvote 0
I think i am one of the few people who think the price is some what justifiable.

first off, it is only $100 more than the ipad 16bg wifi. if you can afford $500, chances are you can afford $600. that is besides the point.

I believe the reason why there is no Wifi only version out yet is because by googles rules, you can not use the official android market with out 3g/gps connections built in to the device which is why you see many chinese tablets with out the market place

You are getting some features the ipad does not have:

-Front/Back cameras
-More portability
-android (blessing or curse)
-Better display

those for me justify the $600 even though i do think it is still pretty high for what it is.

Im still pretty torn between this and the ipad. The main reason Id get an ipad is the fill the gaps betweek Android Os and Ios whith applications such as netflix with instant streaming, and a lot of the music applications (being a musician) the ipad has available compared to Aos

Upvote 0
Well it still looks good to me. Why pay around 100.00 less for an iPad that won't play flash videos? And why pay extra money to duplicate the apps I already have through Market? As far as the Archos goes there is no clue yet when the 70 will actually ship, and after my experience with the 5IT I don't want another tablet I have to fight with.

So far, even with the price it looks like the Galaxy Tab is still the way for me to go. I just have to sell some of my other toys to buy it...

Don't get me wrong, I not not arguing with you... If the Tab suits your needs and you feel it's a good price, then go for it... It's your money and your device.... BUT..... ( you knew the BUT was coming right? LOL )

Great news for you... I am sure you will have no problem finding them in stock and in an abundance....

The price is ridiculous for what it offers.... At $375 higher than the Archos 70 you get a front camera (can't see this as a plus, I mean who is going to use it to take photos?), and 3G (if you want to pay $20 to $50 extra a month)..

You will still be carrying a phone so you can easily hot spot it off that if you don't have wifi for FREE...

The Archos will have 2.2 and flash so that's a draw... What do you really get for the extra $375? The Samsung name, VZW bloatware, and a few other non important things...

I'd say anything over $449 for the Tab is excessive.... At $599, it's absurd...

Upvote 0
Point point and point. But there really isn't another tablet out there that suits my needs as much as the Galaxy Tab does, the Archos included. And with the hotspot on my phone, and paying for an unsubsidized tablet, then why would I have to pay extra every month? And no, the camera isn't a huge draw for me. But the speed and the support will be.

This is my opinion of Archos, and I hope the Archos fans on here don't lynch me for saying this but Archos has a habit of abandoning their tablets when they develop something better and newer. They just want more $$$ from their target consumers, that's all. Otherwise the 5IT would have a little bit of Archos love. I just know that if I did buy the Archos, it would be probably just as sluggish and just as glitchy as the 5 IT is.

So I'm going to get a tablet that will last a a good long while, not some tablet that I'll have to replace sooner rather than later.

And sorry if I've offended anyone!

Upvote 0
You didn't offend me... I am trying to convince myself that $600 is a good price for the Tab.... When I 1st saw the Tab I drooled.... When I saw the price that drool froze....

I'd love to get the Tab, just don't know if it's worth the $600... And for what it's worth, Samsung has a history of bailing on devices as well.... Maybe not so with the new devices and the Tab, but that will remain to be seen...

Upvote 0
I'm another who's wanted the Tab since it was first shown. I'm still hoping that T-Mobile will bring this thing for atleast $299 with a contract. If it is in fact $399 then I just can't see justifing it. I'll say this though. If they had kept the phone feature in I would have so spent $400 for this thing with contract.

Hopefully the wifi version will come out sooner then later and sell at around $350 to $450.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones