• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Verizon]problems after VRUAME7 update

anyone else having problems after the update?

tried restarting several times and that hasn't helped

swiping between screens has snags and scrolling has snags as well....not smooth

also....several widget icons keep dropping from my pages and have to keep adding the shortcuts over and over

erradic problems with apps is happening dropping or not running from one minute to the next....not necessarily after a restart....at any time

is there a way to roll back from the update or reinstall it?

thanks

Before you resort to the dramatic measure of a factory reset, you might want to simply try clearing the data cache first. It ususally solves those types of problems;

Boot into recovery mode:
Turn phone off
Volume up + power keys simultaneously for about 5 seconds
Use volume down key to "wipe data cache," select with power key

If the issues continue after it restarts, you can try a factory reset, or contact customer support.

Reactions: glasshalffull
Upvote 0
My phone would hang on reboot at the Verizon splash screen after the update. I also did not have the WiFi toggle.

Verizon tech told me to wipe the cache and then it would boot but the next boot would hang.

I did a factory reset (sigh) and everything is back to normal including the addition of the WiFi toggle.

My son's device also does not have the WiFi toggle so I predict he will have to do a reset as well. Both of us had Disabled many apps. I wonder if that has anything to do with the update not applying completely/correctly.

I sure hope this doesn't happen with every update.

Reactions: DanDroide
Upvote 0
My phone would hang on reboot at the Verizon splash screen after the update. I also did not have the WiFi toggle.

Verizon tech told me to wipe the cache and then it would boot but the next boot would hang.

I did a factory reset (sigh) and everything is back to normal including the addition of the WiFi toggle.

My son's device also does not have the WiFi toggle so I predict he will have to do a reset as well. Both of us had Disabled many apps. I wonder if that has anything to do with the update not applying completely/correctly.

I sure hope this doesn't happen with every update.

Same exact thing happened to me last night. It would hang on the Verizon splash screen and way overheating. It took several battery pulls to get a normal start up.

So, it took a Factory Reset to get rid of that, wiping Cache did not work?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I hope i don't have to do a factory reset...I'm gonna have to wait a few days before i test removing the cache as i need my phone for the next few days immensely and don't want it to get caught in those hangup phases mentioned above.

if i have to factory reset, what's the most painless way to get the phone setup back to normal?

when i've done hard resets in the past, it takes me half a day or longer to get everything back to the way it was .

my contacts are stored with google, I have mybackup pro app, should i save all the settings with that or is this app no longer relevant?

I'm thinking that google play will update/add most of my apps back to the phone, right?

what's your method for getting a hard reset done as painlessly as possible?

thanks for all the great help so far, i wouldn't know what's going on with out it!

you guys rock!

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
There is an option to restore your device which will download all or nearly all the apps you had installed along with some settings like wallpaper and wifi connections.

You will still have to redo all your screens and settings but having the apps download for you is really helpful.

I take screenshots of all my screens and app drawer to help me get things back to how I want them.

You'll be much happier after the reset.

Upvote 0
There is an option to restore your device which will download all or nearly all the apps you had installed along with some settings like wallpaper and wifi connections.

You will still have to redo all your screens and settings but having the apps download for you is really helpful.

I take screenshots of all my screens and app drawer to help me get things back to how I want them.

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Things should flow much better for you after your factory reset. Or you can root and rom (like me). But for now sounds like your best bet is to carve time out to take care of the factory reset.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
After running the update, my phone was also hanging at the splash screen when rebooting. Since I have practically everything on my SD card, the only thing I was concerned about was my SMS/MMS messages which I backed up to Google with the SMS Backup+ app.

After performing a factory reset, the phone has been fine and the wifi toggle appeared. Other than the known improvements, the other thing I noticed is that when my phone is wireless charging with the dock clock app running, in now goes into trickle-charge mode after it's fully charged (opposed to continuously charging all night). Not sure I'm happy with it, as it now beeps every time charging is activated again.

Upvote 0
Still waiting for the update here :(

My OCD is in full effect. Keep doing the Settings > More > About Phone > Software Update > Check New every hour on the hour.

hey treb,

the update is not delivered to the phone like prvious updates, this update comes from the Verizon software upgrade service that you install on your computer.

you'd plug the phone into the computer to then get the update...took about 30 minutes for mine to install

Upvote 0

gadzooks, is this option in the S4, google playstore or my backup pro app?

thanks

Upvote 0
hey treb,

the update is not delivered to the phone like prvious updates, this update comes from the Verizon software upgrade service that you install on your computer.

you'd plug the phone into the computer to then get the update...took about 30 minutes for mine to install

It was originally released that way, but yesterday it was being sent out via OTA.

ADDED : Please see the first post of this thread I linked for clarification :

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/738519-verizon-s4-gets-apps-sd-update.html

Upvote 0
My update [OTA] went fine but my battery life seems to have taken a real hit. When I cleared the cache [twice] I get the word "error" in the center of the screen below the icon during the process. I also don't see the wifi toggle.

First... back up your phone logs, text messages, apps and data.

I ran into my "stuck in the start up loop" after rebooting my S4 a few times while flying across country. I did see the same error message. Clearing the Cache did not fix it for me...only the Factory Reset. I was only able to do that after several battery pulls before I could get to the update/reboot/wipecache/factory reset screen.

It took me all day to get my phone reloaded the way I wanted it.

Upvote 0
First... back up your phone logs, text messages, apps and data.

I ran into my "stuck in the start up loop" after rebooting my S4 a few times while flying across country. I did see the same error message. Clearing the Cache did not fix it for me...only the Factory Reset. I was only able to do that after several battery pulls before I could get to the update/reboot/wipecache/factory reset screen.

It took me all day to get my phone reloaded the way I wanted it.

E-gads, not this again. I thought I escaped this when I walked away from Motorola. Truth be told, I could live w/o the wi-fi toggle, but I have noticed that the smart scroll feature is no longer working, and I kinda liked that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
gadzooks, is this option in the S4, google playstore or my backup pro app?

thanks

This is an option when you sign into your Google Account on the phone as part of the setup.

I believe it is turned on by default. Just make sure you read the screens before hitting next. You'll know it is happening when you open the Play Store and see that it has started downloading apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones