• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] PSA: New VRUAME7 UPDATE KILLS BOOTLOADER AND ROOT EXPLOITS

jhawkkw

Chinchillin'
Jul 30, 2011
Washington, DC
Taken right from XDA:
Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader in the update prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.

following the link from jhawkkw will give you wifi and camera issues. been going through all the threads and a lot of people were giving their results. Apparently you will be able to flash back, but dont qoute me on that. Been reading so much today, that I have a headache.

Just read it up and understand what you are doing. Personally im going to wait, till theres an option that is 100% stable. Till then I use TiBu to freeze the necessary programs to stop the pop up asking me to upgrade.

People were saying that it will auto install after 15 mins, but I put my phone to sleep or pressed the back button on the phone, and it never auto installed.

Upvote 0
It's tough to tell. A root exploit will likely come first if at all. A bootloader exploit is not a guarantee which is why taking this update if you cared about loki was a big no no. This device could go the rest of its life without seeing another one.

Usually a new for exploit or a way to use the old one is found in most cases, but it isn't always quick.

Upvote 0
retaining root is fully possible if you use OTArootkeeper... HOWEVER you will loose your custom recovery and ability to flash ROMs. so far i have not been able to find a way to get TWRP back on my device BUT i am 100% rooted still after recovering my ROOT with voodoo

OTA rootkeeper does indeed seem to protect root if you take it over the air. The PSA was made when the only way to get the update was through Kies/Verizon update manager on the computer and rootkeeper would not protect it in that situation.

Upvote 0
Any knowledge on getting a custom recovery back on? Odin and terminal emu are not working at all ...

Nope, the update came with a new bootloader that ruins the loki patch. Custom recovery doesn't contain the proper signatures and loki was the one way around it. The devs are working on it, and might find a way, but there is always the possibility that they won't find one.

Upvote 0
I just checked my build version and see I am ME7. Fortunately, I use Voodoo ota rootkeeper and am still rooted but I don't even remember getting this update. I wouldn't even want this phone if it wasn't rooted so I'm lucky there. So now we can't flash? No recovery or cwm? Why can't they just leave us alone? Do we hurt anyone by wanting our devices rooted and/or customized? Considering what we pay for them, we should be able to do anything we want to them.

Upvote 0
but back to the paying thing, as long as the carrier is eating most of the cost of the phone, no they are not going to give us what we want.

They aren't either way. they consider "root'ers" a virus that increase their customer service and "warranty" claims...

Luckily, I have a DEV S4 but I think Samsung limits the number of them sold they spend most of the time "back-ordered"

Upvote 0
They aren't either way. they consider "root'ers" a virus that increase their customer service and "warranty" claims...

Luckily, I have a DEV S4 but I think Samsung limits the number of them sold they spend most of the time "back-ordered"

They think that, but it's actually really funny because more true bricks occur on locked phones than unlocked phones. Very few people that I know made customer service or warranty claims on the Gnex because they bricked it. Though they may have made calls/claims because Samsung put terrible hardware in it. :rolleyes:
Bottom line is, most bricks happen trying to circumvent the security they put on these phones. If someone screws up a flashing on an unlocked phone, it's pretty easy to fix. Scroll through these forums and check out the nexus forums and see how many people complain about hard bricking their nexus devices. You'll see 3 or 4 I think, which is a hell of a lot worse than people on certain other devices.

Upvote 0
unfortunately that is there mentality ... the whole "what we pay for them" is actually dirt cheap here in the states. $200 for a phone is a blessing honestly, yes you have to wait two years and have to hassle with the carriers over bootloaders but those are the terms we accept when buying a subsidized price and have the carrier take $400 off the price.

FORTUNATELY they are also starting to give us options to buy phones outright with bootloaders unlocked via DEV phones like the GS4 HTC One and now the Moto X... this trend I am at least happy with.

but back to the paying thing, as long as the carrier is eating most of the cost of the phone, no they are not going to give us what we want.

I was more or less just venting. I remember now that I accepted the ota a couple weeks ago. I just didn't know what it was. Good insight too. I never considered the fact that they did give me the phone for only $168 (Walmart). $181.46 with tax. I guess that's over $400 off the retail price.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones