• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon recommends a task killer.

Realistically, you can't ask Verizon questions and expect "right" answers.

It's kind of like asking a car dealer how the internal components of the V8 engine work.

They just deal em, they don't make/service them past a certain extent.

Now, this is just in MY OWN personal experience:

I used to use them, But I found myself checking it all the time to make sure it was killing tasks, working properly, etc. Secondly, when i decided to stop using them (thanks to this article: FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android), I was pleasantly surprised how much more stable, smoother and longer my phone was running.

When you kill processes, sure it makes things faster for a second or two, but those processes are re-started the next time you want them and that takes more battery power/memory than just leaving them running. Plus, Android actively kills tasks on it's own when it needs memory or a task has been inactive for a while.

So, IMO, no, you don't need them.

Upvote 0
I have read all the threads bout task killers and kinda use something from all of them. I select the things I don't ever want to stop but I don't choose to have it kill things in the background on its own. I found it used more battery when I had it doing it on its own. The things it killed just started right back up. So now I have a few protected apps and when I get done doin something I use it to kinda refresh things and make sure some things are closed. I don't see any battery deterioration from this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones