• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Restoring stock image -> recovery mode -> exclamation point android

austin987

Lurker
Apr 12, 2012
My phone has been acting strangely the past couple days (trying to use talk would say it failed, phone calls had a lot of static, no microphone, etc.). So I figured I'd try the 4.0.4 patch (659e0a8f24b4.signed-mysid-IMM30B-from-ICL53F.659e0a8f.zip), before I had 4.0.2 installed.

This started my adventure down the rabbit hole...A critical flaw, is that I attempted at one point to flash using https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/yakju-imm76d-factory-c6e807a1.tgz

which obviously fails, since it's for a gsm phone. The radio flashing failed, which clued me into my failure.

I've now have the phone with the bootloader unlocked, and attempted a clean install of 4.0.2, using the Google image (mysid-icl53f-factory-65895fa8.tgz).

So, I do (from a linux machine):
$ adb reboot bootloader
and I'm at the fastboot screen. Bootloader shows as unlocked, awesome.

Run the updater, as indicated at how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus page, unbrick section
austin@aw21 ~/mysid-icl53f $ ./flash-all.sh
sending 'bootloader' (2308 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.302s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [ 0.294s]
finished. total time: 0.596s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.006s
sending 'radio' (10496 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.363s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [ 1.232s]
finished. total time: 2.595s
OKAY [ 0.006s]
sending 'radio-cdma' (3713 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.487s]
writing 'radio-cdma'...
OKAY [ 93.171s]
finished. total time: 93.659s
OKAY [ 0.006s]
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: PRIMEKK15
Baseband Version.....: I515.EK02
Serial Number........: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.007s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.008s]
checking version-baseband...
OKAY [ 0.008s]
checking version-cdma...
OKAY [ 0.007s]
sending 'boot' (4074 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.533s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.276s]
sending 'recovery' (4406 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.583s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.317s]
sending 'system' (325583 KB)...
OKAY [ 41.687s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 38.356s]
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 7.197s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.193s]
rebooting...

finished. total time: 89.205s

so, no failures, should be good. Phone reboots, shows me as having 4.0.2, clean install. However, at least the crackling/no microphone problem remains.

In an effort to make sure I have a clean wipe, I went to bootloader and booted the recovery mode, which shows the android laying down with its case open and a red exclamation point. Googling indicates that my recovery image is foobared, but it shows as okay from flash-all. I also tried manually restoring it with:
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

which reports success, but again, exclamation point.

So, the question is, how can I ensure that I have a clean wipe, in case I do need to take this into the store?

My phone has been acting strangely the past couple days (trying to use talk would say it failed, phone calls had a lot of static, no microphone, etc.). So I figured I'd try the 4.0.4 patch (659e0a8f24b4.signed-mysid-IMM30B-from-ICL53F.659e0a8f.zip), before I had 4.0.2 installed.

This started my adventure down the rabbit hole...A critical flaw, is that I attempted at one point to flash using https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/yakju-imm76d-factory-c6e807a1.tgz

which obviously fails, since it's for a gsm phone. The radio flashing failed, which clued me into my failure.

I've now have the phone with the bootloader unlocked, and attempted a clean install of 4.0.2, using the Google image (mysid-icl53f-factory-65895fa8.tgz).

So, I do (from a linux machine):
$ adb reboot bootloader
and I'm at the fastboot screen. Bootloader shows as unlocked, awesome.

Run the updater, as indicated at how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus page, unbrick section
austin@aw21 ~/mysid-icl53f $ ./flash-all.sh
sending 'bootloader' (2308 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.302s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [ 0.294s]
finished. total time: 0.596s
OKAY [ 0.006s]
sending 'radio' (10496 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.363s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [ 1.232s]
finished. total time: 2.595s
OKAY [ 0.006s]
sending 'radio-cdma' (3713 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.487s]
writing 'radio-cdma'...
OKAY [ 93.171s]
finished. total time: 93.659s
OKAY [ 0.006s]
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: PRIMEKK15
Baseband Version.....: I515.EK02
Serial Number........: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.007s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.008s]
checking version-baseband...
OKAY [ 0.008s]
checking version-cdma...
OKAY [ 0.007s]
sending 'boot' (4074 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.533s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.276s]
sending 'recovery' (4406 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.583s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.317s]
sending 'system' (325583 KB)...
OKAY [ 41.687s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 38.356s]
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 7.197s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.193s]
rebooting...

finished. total time: 89.205s

so, no failures, should be good. Phone reboots, shows me as having 4.0.2, clean install. However, at least the crackling/no microphone problem remains.

In an effort to make sure I have a clean wipe, I went to bootloader and booted the recovery mode, which shows the android laying down with its case open and a red exclamation point. Googling indicates that my recovery image is foobared, but it shows as okay from flash-all. I also tried manually restoring it with:
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

which reports success, but again, exclamation point.

So, the question is, how can I ensure that I have a clean wipe, in case I do need to take this into the store?

I doubt the people at the VZW corporate store would be able to detect your changes at all, honestly. I've walked into my local store with a phone that was running an AOSP-based ROM and they literally had no clue. I'd try taking it in anyway. If the person happens to have a clue and notices it, I'd promptly take your phone and tell them you need to go. Then take it to another VZW store or wait until said (actually intelligent VZW corp store tech) is not working and try again. It's not like they are going to (spend their own time when they don't care) flag your account, just try again later.

On the other hand, it sounds like there should be a way to get your phone stock to fool the VZW tech folks in the store. Have you tried posting in the all things root sub-forum to get it back to stock?

Upvote 0
Sounds normal to me Austin. If you are looking for the stock recovery options, while you're in recovery with laying down Droid and ! press and hold power button, then tap volume up. Should bring up stock recovery header and options.

Oh, good to know. The phone is having troubles with its power button, very moody, but if I can get that to work I'll update here. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
If you see some type of android icon (really big an colorful) while booting,
simply press the home button to get dropped to the recovery rom menu (I have xionia).

I thought my phone was bricked when I was hung at this screen, after trying to apply the "new" 2.3.3 Gingerbread update on my rooted ls670. But, I finally pressed some buttons and blamo, got dropped to the xionia menu.

Upvote 0
Sounds normal to me Austin. If you are looking for the stock recovery options, while you're in recovery with laying down Droid and ! press and hold power button, then tap volume up. Should bring up stock recovery header and options.

Oh, good to know. The phone is having troubles with its power button, very moody, but if I can get that to work I'll update here. Thanks! :)

Yeah, it sounds like you were booting into "ODIN" mode instead of the bootloader... the GN is slightly different from other android phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones