1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon reverting to old paterns I thought were long gone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gwlaw99, Sep 8, 2010.

1. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Of course, but it's like that Engadget article that dreadnatty posted a few posts up. The carriers are exploiting Android. I'm fine if you want to sell the damn device at a profit. You want to make a Google Experience version of the Fascinate and sell it for $250 like the Epic is? Fine, make the money that way. Don't go degrading the user experience for everyone. I'd rather pay $250 for a $200 experience than $200 for a free-with-contract feature-phone experience if that's what it has to come to.

Better yet, you can sell the Fascinate just the way it is right now, but unlock the bootloader. That way, you make your money off your deal with Microsoft and those that have root can use custom ROMs compiled from AOSP. What is the advantage of denying us root? At least with the Droid, you just cannot brick the phone by rooting. Again, it comes to the fact that they want to charge you $30/mo extra for tethering.

Advertisement

2. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    It seems Verizon is going down the wrong path tword locking down the android phones... As I said before, if you have to live with a locked down phone, I think the iPhone is a better experience.... There are still a lot of thing in Android that are not very polished.... The fact that the recent update to Froyo made Pandora and other streaming audio sound horrible is a classic example of Google sending something out half baked... Not being able to easily sync audio and video is annoying. The screen does not scroll as well as the iPhone and it is harder to pick the right thing on the screen than it is on the iPhone.

Also, I have been a little dissapointed in Verizon's service lately. I have virtual no 3G and home or at my office. It is ok at home as I can use my Wifi... But, the latest Froyo "upgrade" broke the wifi infrastructure that my company uses. ( another Google goof. It worked fine on 2.1) This causes the phone to drain the battery at work since it is always trying to find 3G. I have had AT&T in the past and they have a full five bars at both my house and my work. Verizon definitely covers more of my sales trerratory with 3G, but the coverage is not as good as I though it would be.

I can live with the annoyances that Android brings because it is ( at the current time ) more open. It just seems like that openness will be coming to an end in the very near future. At the current time, I would not buy any new Android phone because of the locked boot loaders and the really locked down samsung phones. I also do not like HTC sense....

3. riffdex

riffdex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    How exactly is using iTunes easier than drag and drop? There's nothing easier than putting a video/mp3 on the Droid.

4. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    When you buy a movie from the iTunes store, it downloads to your computer.

With the iPhone:

1) Buy a movie from iTunes. It downloade to your computer automatically.

2) Plug in your phone to the USB port and iTunes converts the movie automatically and copies it your your phone. Each movie takes about 15 minutes.

With Android:

1) Buy a DVD...

2) If if is copy protected, you have to find a ripping software that will rip the DVD...Run it for about an hour... ( If it is not protected you can skip this step )

3) Use a program like Handbrake run it through the conversion process to make it work on the Droid. This can take from a hour to hour and a half.

4) Plug the phone in to a USB and copy it to the SD card.

Which seems easier to you?

5. riffdex

riffdex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Thats not a fair comparison. You could just buy a movie off itunes (or an alternative video website) and drag and drop it into your Droid. Any time you try to put a DVD onto a mobile device (Droid OR iPhone), it will take longer because thats the nature of getting a DVD into a format the mobile can understand.

milrtime83 likes this.
  6. shadowdude777

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Yeah, and who buys iTunes music and videos anyway? Low bitrates and high prices FTW!

But yeah, one of the requisites for my buying a Droid was drag-and-drop support for media. If I was buying a souped-up phone, I wanted to stop carrying around a media player as well, and I refuse to use a crappy sync system like iTunes. You know what my favorite sync software is? Windows Explorer.

7. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Dude.. Please, it is a Google Phone. Take Bing and shove it.

8. Eugene

Eugene Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Male
    Well and Bing still sucks. Try searching MSKB or msdn which both use Bing, you don't find the answer. Now go do a site search using google (or anything else) and find the answer. Try searching for anything else, Bing just can't find anything.

9. djembeman

djembeman Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010

iSycr app works perfectly for getting movies and music onto the Droid. Just create playlists in iTunes that you want on your phone and go!!!! It's simple!

10. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Virginia

I frkn TOTALLY agree w/ you!!!!!
    BTW: when is the iphone coming to Vrzn? Now that 4g is jamming soon. I am SOOOO tired of finding an app to convert. Have to admit, we & technology revolves around the "I". Quite frankly, it IS alot easier.:D

11. shadowdude777

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Yeah, if Apple allows you to do what you want to do.

12. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    It does not work that way. The DMR copy protection does not allow you to put the movie on the droid.... I have not found a program with will early remove the protection so that it can be put on the phone....

13. shadowdude777

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    I know that at least with music, burning it as an audio CD and then ripping it will remove DRM. But then you have the issue of degrading quality with all of those lossy re-encodes.

Or you could, you know, buy movies from a source that doesn't cripple the media with DRM.

14. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010

If you know where you can purchase Digital Movies without any DRM, please let me know....

15. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    This is always true when your choices are limited or non-existent. Just like when I offer my kids a drink:

• PITA: What would you like to drink? What do we have? Water, milk, orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, lemonade, sprite, coke, cherry coke, root beer, dr pepper. Uh... what did you say? Grrr...
    • Easier: Do you want apple juice or grape juice? Uhh... hmm... Apple. OK.
    • Easiest: Do you want some apple juice? Yes please. OK.

16. zim2704

zim2704 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    I have yet to have any problems putting movies on my phone. I have dvd43 installed and after putting the dvd in it decodes it so then I can use handbrake to convert them. From start to finish with movie on my phone the process takes about 25-30 min.

Not sure how this is so difficult for evrybody....maybe I'm just used to making things work and not wanting/expecting it handed to me on a silver platter.