• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon rolling out Marshmallow

Same problem. Contacts don't appear when they call.

install edialer and see if that don't resolve that issue.

I still see the contact names on my VZW phone after MM installed.

matter of fact, just yesterday while riding my motorcycle and the phone on Bluetooth with my GPS, the GPS displayed the name of the caller for me, and asked to "ignore" or "answer"

Upvote 0
AZgl1500, thank you for the link. All seems to be in order, but no Gmail notifications. Today my Mesaage+ app started to display only phone numbers instead of contact names for some of my messages.

However, I seem to be the only one with many of these issues, which leads me to believe it's my phone. Everyone else seems to have had no real trouble with the update. I've had this phone over 2 years, and it is a refurbished replacement, so that could be part of the problem.

Upvote 0
How does the Marshmallow upgrade handle apps that are already installed to SD on Lollipop? If it moves them to internal memory as part of the upgrade I can see the upgrade failing on phones that don't have enough internal memory free and are only surviving because the bulk of the apps are installed to SD.

Upvote 0
So I did a factory reset, and most of my problems are resolved, except that no matter what I do, I cannot get Gmail notifications. My Gmail only syncs if I open it. Notifications are on, boxed checked for every new message. Any suggestions? TIA

Per another thread, I wiped the cache again after the factory reset, then deleted my Google account and set it up again. It turns out that when Power Saver is on I don't get any push notifications. Before the update I had Power Saver on all the time, but now I can't. So far today the battery is OK without Power Saver. FYI.

Upvote 0
The upgrade was mostly smooth for me. I've had a couple of minor issues since.
The lockscreen weather widget doesn't seem to update itself regularly anymore. Noticed immediately after the upgrade. I have no idea what criteria it uses to refresh itself. I didn't change the settings. It's not a matter of not having a data connection. I'm five feet from the wifi and I get plenty of push notifications from other aps all day while the weather widget seems to just sit there. It's not a cache thing; I've cleared it. It only seems to refresh twice a day. I wake up, it says it's something like 55 degrees outside. I look at it again five hours later, it says the same thing. I even tried going into the actual weather app its connected to, but the widget doesn't necessarily refresh. By 8pm, it'll say it's 87 outside, which it probably was at some point in the afternoon. I haven't been able to figure out the pattern of when/why it does/doesn't update.
The second thing is I've also observed worse battery performance, as some others have noticed. It's not terrible, but it's about half what it used to be and the effect was immediate. I'm not sure what it stems from.

Upvote 0
I recently (early June) purchased a refurbished S5 from Verizon (SM-G900-V for approx. $300) and was told it would get Marshmallow when it was released. The phone is for my wife and since I have an S7 E I wanted both devices on the same OS. So far I have not received any updates of any kind and the phone shows no updates since at least 01/01/2016. I called Verizon and they said everything was fine on their end. Except for one small widget and setting up email the phone is pretty much in as purchased condition. Any body have any idea what is causing the lack of updates. Bear in mind I am not very tech savvy.

Upvote 0
I recently (early June) purchased a refurbished S5 from Verizon (SM-G900-V for approx. $300) and was told it would get Marshmallow when it was released. Any body have any idea what is causing the lack of updates.

Have you tried doing a manual check for updates? If not go into settings and scroll to the bottom where you should see an option to do an update check.

Reactions: AZgl1500 and IdaBoy
Upvote 0
I recently (early June) purchased a refurbished S5 from Verizon (SM-G900-V for approx. $300) and was told it would get Marshmallow when it was released. The phone is for my wife and since I have an S7 E I wanted both devices on the same OS. So far I have not received any updates of any kind and the phone shows no updates since at least 01/01/2016. I called Verizon and they said everything was fine on their end. Except for one small widget and setting up email the phone is pretty much in as purchased condition. Any body have any idea what is causing the lack of updates. Bear in mind I am not very tech savvy.
Finally got my update and all went well. Battery usage seems good no problems so far!

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones