1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] Rom and kernel question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    This being the first unlocked phone I have owned, got a question about custom kernels. Can you run whatever kernel you want to run and then whatever rom you want to run? Or are the two tied together in some cases?...i.e. I'm seeing some roms that seem to have a custom kernel as well.

Advertisement

2. jbdan

jbdan Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    ROM's come with kernel included when you flash a ROM. What kernel that is is up to the developer. Some come with stock, some with custom kernels.

Once you flash your ROM I'd play with it for a while see what you think. Dev's often include a kernel that is most compatible/reliable/smooth etc.. that they deem for their ROM. This doesn't mean you can't change the kernel though and doesn't mean that a ROM included kernel is the "best" to run with that ROM.

You do need to stick to versions though...aka 4.0.2 ROM requires a 4.0.2 compatible kernel and so on.

Some kernels are made with tweaks like under volting the CPU for better battery life, some have overclocking for extreme performance, some have modules like a volume boost, and the list goes on.

darkcyber likes this.
  3. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Ok, so when you flash a ROM, then you have to keep that kernel that was included with the ROM to make the ROM stable...basically?

Also, when you make a backup in CWR it backs up the custom kernel and the ROM?

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Not at all. You may find your phone works best with a certian kernel, you can then use that kernel for most all roms. I would suggest flashing the rom first, then booting, then going back to recovery and flash the kernel

A backup in CWM is your entire phone being backed up. Rom, kernel, user apps and data, system apps and data...

darkcyber likes this.
  5. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    you do not have to keep the kernel that came with your ROM. the developer will usually include whichever kernel they think works best, but "best" is certainly subjective. some kernels are made for the best performance, some are made for the best battery life, and some are made for the best balance in between. since a CWR backup does include the kernel, be sure to make a one before you try a new kernel so that you can go back if you have compatibility issues.

aaaaaaand, I just got ninja'd by Yeahha. [​IMG]

darkcyber likes this.
  6. jbdan

jbdan Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    Nope you can flash whatever you would like as long as it is version compatible with your ROM. What the dev of a ROM includes is most often what they think is the best for the ROM. This isn't always the case though.

Yes when you make a backup that backup backs up everything. A snap shot of your entire system at the time of the backup. :)

ninjedit: Or yeah....what the 2 posters above said.... ;)

Tags: