1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Root? 7/7/12 Update - YES!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lexluthor, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

Believe what you want...but you're wrong and just being stubborn :thumbup:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PeteyNice

PeteyNice Newbie

Did you install CWM? Rooting and installing CWM is not the same thing.

You boot into recovery by turning the phone off and then holding down volume up and home while you turn the phone on.

3. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

Thought I tried that but I will try again. I've been using adb to get to recovery bitbi guess there are some apps you can use.

4. Droid.Incredible

Droid.Incredible Well-Known Member

Move over, let me join in the boat. :D

5. liteon163

liteon163 Well-Known Member

Yeah, root is good enough for me.

All I really want to do is remove Verizon bloatware. There are also some Google apps I'd like to get rid of. You know, just general stuff that I will NEVER use and don't want taking up space on the phone.

Sure, I know ICS can freeze certain apps, but I'd rather they not even be there in the first place. But I have to keep in mind that if I remove too much I won't be able to receive OTA updates...

Maybe I'll just wait awhile and play with my stock phone until I get use to it, and maybe even a bit bored with it. Then I can look into what ROMs are available by then.

6. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Coming from a Droid X, I was really looking forward to not having the encrypted bootloader so I could play with more stuff. Damns you, Verizon! Oh well, I kept my DX stock the whole time I've had it, so I'll just wait and see what happens here. Still super weak, though.

7. ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas Member

[ROOT] [RECOVERY] SCH-i535 - xda-developers

Awesome! My S3 should arrive today, and I plan on rooting once it's charged up. I want to keep using Titanium Backup, which would be hard to live without now that I'm used to using it.

jbdan likes this.
  8. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

This is tremendous, good ole 'blek' from my Inc days, what a hero!

9. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert

FYI, the stock image in the quoted thread has some issues. I would use the one in this thread's first post instead to apply the root:

Fixed System image file

10. cbtk18

cbtk18 Newbie

All I need/want is to be able to do free wireless tether, adfree, . I don't care about custom roms. Is there something out there at this point for the S3 that I can use to accomplish this? Is all I need is a simple root?

Please forgive my ignorance.

11. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I want...and to be able to run Titanium Backup. The phone is too new to me to worry about custom roms and kernels yet. Wireless tether, adfree, and TB would make me happy...for now.

12. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert

Did you read that XDA post from 7/9/12 that says an OTA update is "supposedly" coming and their advising to not update as it will break root.

In the past, on ICS based tablet, I use OTA RootKeeper to restore root post several OTA updates. Not sure why that could not be done here.

I have not yet rooted my SGS3 as the root method is a little PITAish for me right now. Hope it gets simplified... like 1 click root :)

13. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Android Enthusiast

What is hard? Hell I didn't even factory reset for the second time. Went into Odin on start, started Odin 3.07 Windows, selected PDA and the image, click start, wait. PROFIT

Did my wife's and mine in under 30 minutes most of the time watching TV or eating dinner.

14. gkinsella2

gkinsella2 Newbie

FoxFi allows tethering WITHOUT root...free from the Play Store!

15. whalebus

whalebus Member

I tried using Heimdall on Ubuntu and it gave error, "missing format.xml file". Downloaded Windows 8 consumer preview and used Odin to flash and all is well.

16. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Do we know yet what will happen as far as OTA updates on rooted phones?

Will OTA not even be offered to rooted phones? Will the OTA complete and then phone won't be rooted? Will OTA complete and then phone will still be rooted?

Will OTA Rootkeeper work?

Coming from a Droid X, I know that OTA wouldn't go unless your phone was nearly 100% stock.

Not sure how things working over at Samsung.

I hopefully will finally have my phone next week. With the consideration that I'd like to restore apps and appdata via Titanium, I'm wondering what the best way to proceed would be. Root phone immediately, restore with Titanium, then get the OTA (if it will even run on a rooted phone?)? If I lose root for a short time after that, I could live since I've already restored my data. I'd really like to keep things as close to stock as possible, with the exception of obtaining root.

17. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

impossible to say until an OTA is actually pushed

it should work the same way everywhere

i think the best plan is to simply get the phone...root it...and wait...simply don't take the OTA until the devs confirm how to root it...

its really simple and the RUMORED OTA is going to be so incredibly minor...in reality if its like the other GS3 OTA's its actually going to take away features...

18. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

That does seem to make sense, but, will I even be able to take any OTA updates once I've rooted the phone?

I'd prefer taking the OTAs over having to use someone on XDA's version via ODIN.

19. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

depends on if you've frozen/deleted anything i would assume like it did with your DX

any particular reason?

You need to use ODIN to root anyway as of now so why even bother accepting the OTA and just flash a stock rooted file through ODIN? there will be no difference...frankly there is no reason to want to use the OTA over just waiting a day (probably a few hours) for a dev to give us an image to flash on our own..

if you accept the OTA and it breaks root...you will just have to flash a rooted system img using ODIN anyways...might as well skip the OTA process altogether IMO...

20. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

I guess no reason other than probably a couple day delay maybe and probably a little more risk involved than just taking it via OTA? Plus, stock/rooted, isn't stock. The devs always seem to add/tweak a few other things when they do that (deodex, update stock apps, etc).

21. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

so you would rather lose root then wait even a day or two to get a rooted version?

but you have to flash the rooted img in ODIN anyway lol...

so to take the OTA and then get root later on...
    1. allow OTA <--risk of failure, borked install, buggy install etc
    2. flash rooted OTA img in ODIN <--ditto

so by taking the OTA you are actually introducing MORE risk to the equation...this is not like youre used to with the DX and a 1-click root method where you install then gain root through an app...

there are stock rooted img's at xda right now...as far as i know now thing was changed

22. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

You are right, that all makes sense. I guess the only thing missing is that do we know for sure that OTA breaks root? I guess that's highly likely. If so, then, yes, what you outline should be the best way to go.

23. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

we don't know ANYTHING about the OTA...other that there will be one eventually...we dont know what it does, when its coming, or anything

24. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Actually, there is a great reason for preferring to update via OTA.

You don't lose any data!

If I root now, then an update comes out and then there's an ODIN version released with the new upgrade+root, won't I lose all my apps and settings and have to restore via titanium, then redo all my settings, contact ringtones, etc.?

25. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews