1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] Root Voids Warranty

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by timetoroot, Jan 3, 2012.

1. timetoroot

timetoroot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I understand rooting will void the warranty. Is that the manufacturer warranty or will that apply to the Verizon Asurion (Total Protection) as well?

Also, I am rooted and don't have any interest in flashing ROMS. Would you recommed re-locking the boot loader after 4.0.3 is pushed as there may not be any significant updates after? I have read a locked bootloader can add a little protection form viruses/malware/etc or is that a moot point since any malicious program already has a root access since I am rooted?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Rooting voids the manufacturer warranty. If your phone messes up for a non-root related issue you should be able to unroot and use the warranty without issues. If your phone messes up for root relates issues or your drop it in water you can still use your insurance with a rooted phone.

If you want to have root access I would not recommend relocking the bootloader. As long as you stick with the stock version of the OS you should still get OTA updates and if you lock the bootloader then decide you want to root in the future you will have to wipe your phone and SD again by unlocking the bootloader.

Really viruses aren't something that affect Android. IMO having root access is another step against programs that want to try to get root access because superuser will ask permission if an app requests it, which allows you to easily deny access.

If you are worried about malware the best protection you can have (IMO) is yourself, an educated user can easily prevent most if not all malware that has to do with Android. For starters I would suggest checking out this thread http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

3. timetoroot

timetoroot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for the great explanation! I have read the link you posted, that is one of the threads that prompted my questions. Thanks again!

Tags: