• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Rooted then bricked :(

Hey guys - So I rooted my phone the other day (first time, and I'm a huge noob haha). Everything worked out well.

Problem
Earlier tonight I tried to make some system changes, but clicked the option "prevent previous ROM from starting up" or something. Well I wasn't installing a new ROM, so I screwed it all up. Now it gets stuck at the flashing colorful lights screen when booting up.

Possible Relevant Info
I did a Nandroid backup before messing with anything using Online Nandroid Backup. I can only start my phone in recovery mode - using ClockworkMod Recovery (which won't let me use the Nandroid backup I made).

My attempt at a solution:
1) Downloaded the stock firmware file. Tried to connect to my computer to use Odin - it won't connect. Installed and re-installed the drivers multiple times on multiple computers. Neither Odin nor my computer recognize it. Tried two different computers. Tried restarting. Tried rebooting device.
2) Took the zipped file and put it on a micro SD Card and tried to "restore" right off the micro SD card. The program just gives me an error and doesn't restore.

Any ideas, or anyone run into this problem? And yes - I've searched the internet and forums from around 10PM to now at 3:25AM with no answer.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Have you tried downloading a rom, transferring it to your sd card, doing an entire wipe (wipe system included) then flashing that rom to see what happens?

I'm gonna have to apologize in advance for these basic questions haha:
1) Is the stock firmware file I downloaded not a "rom" ?
2) I don't see an option in Clockwork Mod to wipe data. The closest setting says "wipe data/factory reset" but it doesn't do anything... I believe this setting would only work if the phone's OS was still functioning.

Upvote 0
personally, I would try DS's suggestion..
Download this rom to your computer and put it on your sd card:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2178482

Boot into recovery...wipe data/factory reset...wipe cache and dalvik cache....
While in recovery, choose the "install" option.
Navigate to the rom on your external sd card.
Choose the rom to install (flash) it.
Wipe cache/dalvik again. (that's what I do anyways :) )
Reboot.
Profit :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sounds like your bootloader is locked.
What root method did you use?

Edit: if needed, uninstall Odin and start fresh with this guide to unroot.
Then we can get you re-rooted if desired.
See section 5. :)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

Quick question...in your OP when you tried ODIN, were you in download mode? (home/volume down/power) ?

Upvote 0
GOT IT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It worked!

For future people visiting this thread, here are all the steps I took to fix this:

Initial Problem
Phone stuck on the Verizon LTE colorful flashing screen after messing up ROM installation or something similar.

Step 1
Follow these instructions:
personally, I would try DS's suggestion..
Download this rom to your computer and put it on your sd card:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2178482

Boot into recovery...wipe data/factory reset...wipe cache and dalvik cache....
While in recovery, choose the "install" option.
Navigate to the rom on your external sd card.
Choose the rom to install (flash) it.
Wipe cache/dalvik again. (that's what I do anyways :) )
Reboot.
Profit :)

Step 2
If that fixed it, great! If not... now your phone may give you the yellow caution triangle, and say that "unauthorized software" is installed, then tell you to go to the VZW store. Boot back into recovery mode. **If it doesn't work, try the volume down key instead of volume up - this made it work for me.**

Step 3
At this point, your computer should be able to now recognize your device. Use these instructions:

Edit: if needed, uninstall Odin and start fresh with this guide to unroot.
Then we can get you re-rooted if desired.
See section 5. :)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

OR the instructions in this youtube video which also helped me: How to UnBrick your Galaxy S3(Any verison) - YouTube.

Step 4
Device should reboot, and it may take a few min at the Verizon LTE flashing screen again, but should be completely fixed and start the phone's initial setup!

BIG THANKS TO MIKESTONY FOR ALL THE HELP!! :D

Upvote 0
That's FANTASTIC!!
Glad you got it working :)
Side note --you can do a nandroid backup with the custom recovery--CWM or TWRP if you decide to root again ;) No need to use any other app to do so.
From now on flash roms/kernels/mods via recovery unless otherwise stated in the OP of the download site. :)

My Saturday is starting off good now that you got your device going :D

Reactions: DragonSlayer95
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones