• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Rooting Verizon GS3 with Jelly Bean Official Release

I read somewhere that the regular methods for rooting like the two methods shown in the sticky in this Forum will not work, because Verizon has blocked that kind of rooting in their Official Jelly Bean release. Is this true?

I read about doing it differently, but the process feels more complicated to me then they ways shown in the sticky thread.

If you cannot not use the normal methods is there an easy way to do it.

Here is an easy guide for rooting a jelly bean verizon s3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439
Other useres have sucessfully rooted using this method. Perhaps you should have a read of it. :D

Thank you!

Okay I have a question regarding step #3 if you choose the recommended "For Both Root and Unlocked Bootloader ***RECOMMENDED*** - Download SuperSU + Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link"

Do you extract the contents of this folder, before loading it onto my SD Card?

Upvote 0
Hope all is going fine.

Are you planning on flashing a custom rom after rooting and if so what one?? ;)

It went perfectly?

At this time I am not planning on flashing any ROMs. Verizon just replaced this phone for me do to over heating issues, but on the previouse one I was running Synergy. I liked it, but the little issues I was having are gone now. I have the OTA Jelly Bean now and so far it has been flawless so I am finding it difficult to find a reason to flash another custom ROM.

I use this phone as a business tool, almost like mini business laptop. There is little I do not do from this phone. My business is selling Media via Amazon and other online venues and I use a real time scouting app to assist in my purchase decisions. So I need it to be stable and as trouble free as possible. However, there are some apps I that require root access that I want as well. So that is why I rooted it. I just wish it was possible to encrypt a Rooted phone, because of all the important information I have on my phone. I worry about a Rooted phone being less secure.

Upvote 0
I am rooted on Clean rom and I found this screen...don't use it, but it may be what you are looking for:
Screenshot_2013-01-06-21-51-10.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Can one of you answer some pathetically naive questions?

Verizon updated me to Jellybean. I say big woop. Of concern is that they have disabled my ability to record phone calls.

if i perform a root, will I then be able to re-enable this type of direct recording? if so, how would I do so?

would I then need to install a custom rom? are there any cracked jelly bean versions that are essentially the same, but allow modifications as needed?

:thinking:

Upvote 0
will using this root method wipe and flash anything? Cause I got my phone today and wanted to root it. But I don't want it to wipe what I already put on it.
No, it will not wipe your current setup.:)

Can one of you answer some pathetically naive questions?

Verizon updated me to Jellybean. I say big woop. Of concern is that they have disabled my ability to record phone calls.

if i perform a root, will I then be able to re-enable this type of direct recording? if so, how would I do so?

would I then need to install a custom rom? are there any cracked jelly bean versions that are essentially the same, but allow modifications as needed?

:thinking:
I think there is an app in the play store for voice recording but I have to locate the correct one that I found earlier in the week. Just can't find it!
I don't believe it requires root....I'm getting frustrated as I cannot find it:(
It was linked in another thread in these forums somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones