• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Rooting Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.1

This won't brick my phone will it?

Nope... As long as your device is the 'I535' model then you should be fine. I'd still recommend you read the tutorial thoroughly though or watch his video on rooting that particular device. Rooting very rarely bricks devices and if it does its very easy to fix anyway. But I can confirm as long as you are on verizon and you have the 'I535' model and you read the tutorial. Then you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
It's a no go Matt. I tried to do it but it stuck on the 4G LTE screen while rebooting up. Had to put it in recovery mode and wipe my phone. Looks like I'll have to wait for another soultion

Weird I wonder why it didn't work. The tutorial was for your exact phone. Maybe because your on JellyBean. But I can't see why that would make a difference. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Upvote 0
I don't believe you can root a JB system as up until a few days ago, there was no official JB release. It was up to the Dev's to provide rooted system images. So what you'll have to do is install a JB ROM that comes pre-rooted. In order to install you will have to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery. All this is explained in any of the JB ROM threads.

If you REALLY want to root a JB ROM from scratch, here ya go:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

Upvote 0
I don't believe you can root a JB system as up until a few days ago, there was no official JB release. It was up to the Dev's to provide rooted system images. So what you'll have to do is install a JB ROM that comes pre-rooted. In order to install you will have to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery. All this is explained in any of the JB ROM threads.

This is actually how I rooted my phone, it's the only way I've found that works for my model running on Jelly Bean right now. Thanks Guys!

Upvote 0
First I want to say that it's not my plan to become a postwhore but rather to try and learn by asking the dumb questions as they come up. Please don't be offended or if you find my asking a lot to be offensive let me know. I rooted my s3 when I got it 3 months ago so its a rooted and unlocked (as I recall) ice cream sandwich. I have clockworkmod which is activated when I try to install the official firmware update and I wonder if that's part of the reason I can't get the new release to work. I don't understand why a recovery app is needed to to the firmware updates but I have Odin installed now and before I try the official route again I will freeze clockworkmod. I can't find the xda site and would appreciate a link or even hint. I wanted to also ask whether I will have to re-root and unlock again after installing Jellybean. I was told that "flash" might mean something different in the US than on an international context (SUroot). Could this be the case? Seems odd but I know little to nothing. I don't want to become a developer or even even expert; just sufficiently adept to use the S3 to it's potential as a micro computer and cell phone. I only have a few odd apps and a game or two for standing in lines or waiting for parking. I have two jazz links and connections to ACS and AAS. I rooted my S3 to offload bloatware and cut down on memory hogs. I especially like Ti backup for its freeze capabilities. I am hoping one of the guides or a savvy member will advise me where to store contacts and unique files should I be required to wipe the device to get it running new firmware. Thanks to everyone who offers help and everyone else for keeping abreast of developments. Best regards,

Upvote 0
First I want to say that it's not my plan to become a postwhore but rather to try and learn by asking the dumb questions as they come up. Please don't be offended or if you find my asking a lot to be offensive let me know. I rooted my s3 when I got it 3 months ago so its a rooted and unlocked (as I recall) ice cream sandwich. I have clockworkmod which is activated when I try to install the official firmware update and I wonder if that's part of the reason I can't get the new release to work. I don't understand why a recovery app is needed to to the firmware updates but I have Odin installed now and before I try the official route again I will freeze clockworkmod. I can't find the xda site and would appreciate a link or even hint. I wanted to also ask whether I will have to re-root and unlock again after installing Jellybean. I was told that "flash" might mean something different in the US than on an international context (SUroot). Could this be the case? Seems odd but I know little to nothing. I don't want to become a developer or even even expert; just sufficiently adept to use the S3 to it's potential as a micro computer and cell phone. I only have a few odd apps and a game or two for standing in lines or waiting for parking. I have two jazz links and connections to ACS and AAS. I rooted my S3 to offload bloatware and cut down on memory hogs. I especially like Ti backup for its freeze capabilities. I am hoping one of the guides or a savvy member will advise me where to store contacts and unique files should I be required to wipe the device to get it running new firmware. Thanks to everyone who offers help and everyone else for keeping abreast of developments. Best regards,

Upvote 0
I just got my Verizon carrier version (SCH-I535) and just rooted it tonite.
I am still learning about updates and such, but when I had my Evo 4G, it was a no-no to accept OTA updates.

I will be powering up my SGS3 in a little bit. Is there a way to refuse the update until I can root it? I recall reading that some people's phones did the update DURING activation??

Upvote 0
I will be powering up my SGS3 in a little bit. Is there a way to refuse the update until I can root it? I recall reading that some people's phones did the update DURING activation??
Not sure but if it does upgrade to jelly bean it is not very hard to root at all:D. I had mine rooted within a half an hour.:)

Upvote 0

After following all the steps I went unlock my bootloader, clicked unlock and it still says status unknown.

I know I did something wrong in the process, I just cant figure out what.

-I'm assuming I did the whole flash-recovery-root process all wrong. In order for me to do it again, do I need to factory reset?

Upvote 0
After following all the steps I went unlock my bootloader, clicked unlock and it still says status unknown.

I know I did something wrong in the process, I just cant figure out what.

-I'm assuming I did the whole flash-recovery-root process all wrong. In order for me to do it again, do I need to factory reset?
I don't believe you have to reset to do it again.
Did you get thru step 3 o.k. and at the end of step 3 you were in recovery?

Upvote 0
I was able to do step three & install step 4

"For Both Root and Unlocked Bootloader ***RECOMMENDED*** - Download SuperSU + Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card"
Were you careful on this step?:

Upon exiting your custom recovery to reboot first time, you will be asked if you want to "Disable recovery flash", you MUST select Yes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones